Completely Stumped For Husbands 40Th Cake!!

Decorating By Emmar308 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 1:08am by PattyT

Emmar308 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:04pm
post #1 of 6

I usually have no problem coming up with ideas for other peoples cakes, but it's my hubbys 40th birthday in 2 weeks and i just have no ideas at all for his cake! I have a 5 inch square fruit cake made which i will be decorating - we are going away for a few days camping (first time!), so it needs to keep and travel well! He used to be very much into snowboarding, but hasn't done so for years, and it's embarrassing to say but he doesn't really have any hobbies now! He works in financial management, so no inspiration there (don't think he would appreciate a work related cake anyway!) Our 5 year old son thinks it should be a Star wars cake, but this is more what he likes than his dad lol. Does anyone have any great ideas, i would be very grateful! (He does like cars, my only thought was to make a sugarpaste Testarossa, his fave car, but it doesn't seem very exciting). TFL.

5 replies
Emmar308 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 10:27am
post #2 of 6

Oh dear, it looks like you're all as stumped as me!! lol!

PattyT Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:01am
post #3 of 6

Since you'll be camping, I'm thinking anything fancy carved, modeling figures, things that will fall off etc. are out of the question. Probably something simple that you can pack in a box or plastic container.

I've done a couple of cakes for my father-in-law that may be suitable. Just cakes with fondant decorations on them. Here's the links.

This one was winter themed - inspired by a white7 cake, but you get the idea. Maybe instead of figures, you could do silhouettes of his favorite things.

Hope this helps.

PaulaPea Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:15am
post #4 of 6

Since you're going camping why not make a camping scene? Maybe a tent, fire? Lake with canoe? Forest? HTH

Emmar308 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 6

PattyT, you have given me the inspiration i needed! Thankyou! I couldn't decided which of his past hobby to concentrate on as a theme, but instead i'm going to do silhouettes of activities / events throughout his life around the base of the cake - bmx'ing from his pre teens, martial arts from his teens, snowboarding from his 20's - not sure about the 30's yet...maybe a keg of beer haha! Thankyou so much, i'm totally excited to do this now!!

PattyT Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 1:08am
post #6 of 6

So glad to help. Cakes for guys are so hard!
Looking forward to seeing the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%