How Long....?

Decorating By jimmers Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 8:50am by jimmers

jimmers Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 9

I'm making a muppets cake and I need to make about 15 characters. I was planning on using fondant with tylose as that's how I usually model figures. My question is, how long in advance can I make them as the customer wants them to be edible, as in she wants a character per slice of cake. I'm aware it's a HUGE amount of work so want to get cracking as soon as possible!!!

8 replies
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 9

As long as they aren't sitting in a very humid or very dusty place, you can make them months in advance if you want....

Good luck!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmers

I'm making a muppets cake and I need to make about 15 characters. I was planning on using fondant with tylose as that's how I usually model figures. My question is, how long in advance can I make them as the customer wants them to be edible, as in she wants a character per slice of cake. I'm aware it's a HUGE amount of work so want to get cracking as soon as possible!!!

Hi you can make them well in advance - weeks - if you store them well however I don't think they are particularly nice to eat sugar models once they are dried lol but I guess if they want to nibble on them icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:

Hi you can make them well in advance - weeks - if you store them well however I don't think they are particularly nice to eat sugar models once they are dried lol but I guess if they want to nibble on them icon_smile.gif

I usually try to tell people they can save the piece...so its more of a keepsake...and so all that hard work isn't chomped away. haha.

jimmers Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the replies. The cake is for the end of this month so by the sounds of it I can get going now?!

oooo, thanks kitagrl, I never thought of it like that!!! Maybe that's what she meant when she said she wanted one for each slice of cake. I just presumed they were strange and wanted to eat them but maybe she wants a keepsake for her guests.

Ah well, here's to many hours of modelling icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for your help, you've saved me from pulling my hair out trying to cram all the decorations into a few days!!

kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 9

I hope, hope, hope you are *charging* plenty for all those figures! You don't say how big the cake is but it must be at least an 8"er so that means some 24-32 servings/figures!!

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:

.. I never thought of it like that!!! Maybe that's what she meant when she said she wanted one for each slice of cake. I just presumed they were strange and wanted to eat them but maybe she wants a keepsake for her guests.

Well, better clear that up right now. Never, ever "assume" anything when it comes to a cake for a customer. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches--maybe in both the long & short run--if you get it clarified & specified by the customer before you invest a lot of time & product.

If they do want to eat them, no toothpicks or wires. Spaghetti or lollipop sticks for support.

If they need to be soft enough to eat, perhaps you want to use modeling chocolate. If using fondant or 50/50, making them just a few days before will leave the insides a bit softer for chewing. Made to far in advance, or with a lot of tylose/cmc/gum tex, etc., will make them rock hard and not able to be eaten.

Rae

jimmers Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:44am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

I hope, hope, hope you are *charging* plenty for all those figures! You don't say how big the cake is but it must be at least an 8"er so that means some 24-32 servings/figures!!

I'm a hobby baker and it's my friends 30th so I said I'd do it free as her present!!!!! I told her last year I'd make her a cake as a gift, she then came to me this year with her request and obviously it's slightly more work than I had first thought!!!! At least as it's a present I'm not tied to exact specifications. I'm gonna try my best to achieve what she wants so that she's happy but she said to just do what I can.

I love being a hobby baker cos I get all the fun with less stress although don't quote me on that by the end of the month icon_smile.gif

jimmers Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:50am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

.. I never thought of it like that!!! Maybe that's what she meant when she said she wanted one for each slice of cake. I just presumed they were strange and wanted to eat them but maybe she wants a keepsake for her guests.

Well, better clear that up right now. Never, ever "assume" anything when it comes to a cake for a customer. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches--maybe in both the long & short run--if you get it clarified & specified by the customer before you invest a lot of time & product.

If they do want to eat them, no toothpicks or wires. Spaghetti or lollipop sticks for support.

If they need to be soft enough to eat, perhaps you want to use modeling chocolate. If using fondant or 50/50, making them just a few days before will leave the insides a bit softer for chewing. Made to far in advance, or with a lot of tylose/cmc/gum tex, etc., will make them rock hard and not able to be eaten.

Rae

thanks for your advice, I never thought of using modelling chocolate. It's not something I've used before so I'm going to leave it this time but you've definitely planted some seeds for future figures thumbs_up.gif

I appreciate the advice regards assuming. I've been on the phone to her this morning and she wants them for people to take home, she's even bought little boxes for them. I would never have thought this if it weren't for your message. I learn so much off you guys so thanks.
Anyway, yay yay yay. I can make them now cos it doesn't matter if they're hard icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%