I Need Help With Painting Onto Fondant!! Plz Help!

Decorating By sugarxosugar143 Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 12:09am by sebrina

sugarxosugar143 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 16

im having trouble painting with the vodka and wilton food gel! even when i add the vodka its still painting as if i never added the vodka...what am i doing wrong? its basically like painting with water colors which is def not the effect im going for... anyone know what i should use to get a more solid kind of paint?? I thought i heard someone say use color dust and vodka instead? where do i get those? i hope im explaining this right... =/

15 replies
wiggler Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 16

You can used powdered food colouring mixed with a little vodka . Not from the States but I think you could try Global Sugar Art

sherrycanary62 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 16

Vodka and gel paste colors will give you a transparent paint look, kinda like stained glass if too thin. Put your gel paste color in a separate container from the vodka, then add the vodka to the gel paste a drop at a time,

Luster/Petal dusts and vodka work well, but can take more than one coat, you can buy those online or look around at your local cake supply shop

You can try experimenting with colored and thinned butter cream or royal icing.

Also Donna Dewberry of One Stroke Painting fame has come out with her own line of edible cake paints. You can find more info on her site.

cownsj Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 16

We use vanilla and gel color. We put a "glop", for lack of a better word... of the color in the bowl, add the vanilla around the edge of the bowl, and draw the color into the vanilla. If we don't have enough color, we pull more into it. If it's on the cake and you realize you don't have enough color, unless you continue painting, just wait for it to dry completely, then you can add a 2nd coat.

BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Also Donna Dewberry of One Stroke Painting fame has come out with her own line of edible cake paints. You can find more info on her site.

I looked all over her site and found nothing. If you have a link, could you post it, please?

I saw an old--2008--youtube video of her painting on cakes. She was using Americolors for everything.

Thanks,
Rae

Periperi Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 16

I do exactly what cownsj explained. I've had fantastic results using that method. The neck and head of my electric guitar cake were painted and also my volcano was painting using clear vanilla and gel color. Sounds like you're using too much vodka.

sugarxosugar143 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:45am
post #7 of 16

thank you all so much for all the info and advice!!! greatly appreciated!! icon_smile.gif

sugarxosugar143 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

I looked all over her site and found nothing. If you have a link, could you post it, please?

I saw an old--2008--youtube video of her painting on cakes. She was using Americolors for everything.

Thanks,
Rae

yes please! i also cant seem to find it either =/

TexasSugar Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 16

If you want something that is less translucent, I would look into airbrush colors for painting. No need to thin down, paint straight from the bottle and they have more of a solid look to them.

sherrycanary62 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:19pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:

Thanks,
Rae

yes please! i also cant seem to find it either =/

I too looked all over her sight...maybe they have been discontinued..also looked at amazon..nothing there either...too bad, sounded like a good product.

I like the air brush colors idea...have a ton of those.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 16

LaWmn223 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:08pm
post #12 of 16

I use americolor airbrush black straight from the bottle to do outlines and regular americolor mixed with vodka or everclear to paint the rest.

Colorful-Bliss Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:09pm
post #13 of 16

I love painting on cakes. I have two in my gallery. The more vodka you add the more translucent. You can add more depth by applying a first layer and then go back and add more layers of paint just like if you were painting with real paint. It's the only method I've ever tried and I love it!

icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #15 of 16

I have that set of americolor gels. Its nothing but regular americolor gels , using different name for the colors. laurel' silverburg started this. Then it didn,t materialize. The cookies in my photos were done using these gels. I took one stroke painting for several years at michaels and with a lady from her home. I use the one stroke painting brushes ,etc. I just have the whole outfit. lol!! You have to use the white gel to make it work. That also was in the gel kit, but again, just the reg. americolor gels with different names on the color bottles. Didn,t take me long to figure that out. So, if you know anything about one stroke painting, that is what you do. I can,t think of the name of the site where laurel' started the food safe stamps (maybe sweetstampen) they use to have something on that site about the paints. hth it is sweetstampen.com, that shows these gel paints for cookies, etc. My friend ordered them and never got them . I just looked at the site.

sebrina Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #16 of 16

Well... I know everyone is gonna cringe but I do the exact opposite. I wet my brush with some water & dip it right into my color. Paint is normally thick & I thought the color looks better. I just keep wetting my brush & only use a little at a time. I literally JUST got done painting the Georgia Bulldog on a piece of fondant. Worked great!

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%