How Big Should A Cupcake Tower Be?

Baking By Babs1964 Updated 16 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm by imjusthere

Babs1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babs1964 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making 120 cupcakes and I would like to know from anyone whose has made about that many cuppies before as to how big I would need it to be. This would be a homemade tower. Thanks for any info icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Babs1964 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:38am
post #2 of 8

Can anyone help me?

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 8

I made one last weekend. I used 4 cake boards (actually 2 of each, glued together) 8,12,16,20. I used foam core to cut interlocking supports for all four boards. I had a cake on top, then 102 cupcakes. There was one ring we started at the top (the 12") and filled it, the 16, the 20, then had a ring of cc on the table around the bottom. There was plenty of room on the table to put more cc around the supports.

I used T pins to hold the boards to the supports, then straight pins with round heads to pin ribbon around the edges of the boards.

I'm thinking about cutting the rounds out of foam core for next time, but these sizes worked well.

Babs1964 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 8

How did you do the interlocking supports, not sure I follow icon_redface.gif

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:06am
post #6 of 8

I cut pieces of foam core 4" tall, and 1/2" shorter than the cake board. Right at the middle, I cut a piece out that was 2" by 1/4" (this was a bit too big- it should be the size of the thickness of the foamcore, more like 3/16"). Cut two pieces the same. Then turn one so you can slide the two together in an X shape. Make sure you cut deep enough that the two are even.

For extra stability, I used 2 T pins to attach each board to its support. I made sure to put them towards the back when I set up the tower.

Babs1964 Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 5:19am
post #7 of 8

Thank you for the explanation, it all makes sense now! icon_lol.gificon_redface.gif

imjusthere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imjusthere Posted 16 Jun 2011 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 8

In case you hadn't seen them, you might consider a penguin cupcake tower (www.penguincupcaketowers.com). They are designed specificly for decorating and it will save you the trouble of creating it from scratch. The emperor stand can hold more cupcakes than you need but you can just put cupcakes on the edges to fill the whole tower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%