Edible Screen Printing With The Yudu

Decorating By Cookingkimber Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm by Lcubed82

Cookingkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookingkimber Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 4

So i just bought the yudu and i want to use it to help with special logos and other project on fondat and gumpaste. I am assuming that the chemical that they use for the emulsion is most likely not food safe so I was thinking i can just use vinyal and maybe my cricut for the image.

Does any one know of a better way to get a food safe emulsion and suggestions on edible ink would be great as well!!!

3 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 4

No answer, but on Amazing Wedding Cakes, the shop in Minnesota uses silkscreening on their cakes. I would love to know how!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 4

You're right--the emulsion for the YUDU screens is NOT food safe. I actually e-mailed them about a year ago and suggested that they make food safe products, but so far, no results.

Years ago--like 1975-- Wilton produced several lovely screens for use with chocolate. I used them in a class with Beth Parvu 2 years ago. She was looking in to being able to make food safe screens, but I haven't heard anything recently about the project.

I've looked around on the internet for food safe screening emulsion, but I haven't located anything. Good Luck.

Rae

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 4

Another option could be using an electronic cutter, such as Cricut, to cut out your design from freezer paper. Use the negative and attach it to the screen, then proceed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%