For Those Who've Used Chocolate Mmf. . .

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm by lutie

lrlt2000 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 5

I need dark brown fondant, and want to color most of it using chocolate, instead of just dye.

For those of you who have made MMF using cocoa powder, how has it turned out?? I am afraid it will be speckled--was it? Was it sticky or difficult to use? At which step do I add the cocoa powder? I usually use Peggy Weaver's MMF recipe.

Thanks!

4 replies
EmilyJo9 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 5

I make a lot of my own MMF and anytime I need black or brown I use cocoa powder and it never turns out speckled or weird. It's always like regular MMF except brown. If you need it really dark brown I would add some black to the MMF or use dark chocolate cocoa. I always add my cocoa, flavoring, and coloring to the melted marshmallows and mix it up and then continue the process.

NJCakery Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 5

I have never had problems with using cocoa powder either. I have added brown coloring to it as well to make it a richer brown - worked for me icon_smile.gif

heartsnsync Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 5

I add one tbls. cocoa powder to the confectioner's sugar and 1 square of melted baker's chocolate to the marshmallows. Then as it is being mixed I add some brown to just under the desired end resulting color and then let it sit overnight before deciding if you need to add more color. The reason for stopping short is two fold - 1) you don't want to add more color than you need so you can make sure to keep it chocolate tasting with no color after taste and 2) it almost always darkens as it sits.

As others said, if you want a darker brown ease in a bit of black. I actually achieve black MMF with this method by adding quite a bit of brown, let it sit and then add some black, let it sit, and then add the final amount of black to get it to be a really dark brown. The last bit to being black happens after the final rest after adding color and then after application when air gets to it. HTH

lutie Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 5

Use the chocolate fondant recipe on Cake Central...it has melted chocolate chips in it and is not only fabulous tasting, it looks and handles wonderfully!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%