Any Idea Of How To Make This Cake???

Baking By Vanessa7 Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm by warchild

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 27

I have been asked to make a cake similar to this but have no idea of how they have done the "bubbles" covering the sides. Does anyone have any ideas? Also, any idea of how I determine the number of "bubbles" I will need and how long it will take to make enough to cover 2 tiers probably 9" & 6". Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.thepartydress.net/2009/03/trend-alert-yellow-black/

26 replies
tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 27

It looks like chocolate shells. Small round hollow balls. I have had samples of them from my supplier. They gave me many different chocolate curls and fancy cups these were part of them. When I priced them they where very expensive. you might fined a mold and make them yourself.

StacyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StacyN Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 27

Could they be fondant? They rolled a little fondant ball and then took a gumpaste tool and poked in the center to the bottom of the ball? Hopefully that makes sense! HTH
Im curious to see what others think also!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 27

It was made by Cakegirls, but I don't know if it would be possible to contact them to ask how they did it.

Vanessa7 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 27

StacyN - I thought of doing fondant balls too but I thought they looked more barreled (sp?) shape and was hoping to find something that was a little more consistent in size than just eyeballing it.

tripleD - I've tried looking for a mold but can't seem to find one. Would you mind giving me the name of your supplier? That might help me make a more accurate quote.

Texas_Rose - can't find CakeGirls on the web anymore since their shop is still not up and running. Are they by chance on CC?

I appreciate all your help! If anyone else has ideas on a mold type I could use I would greatly appreciate it. icon_lol.gif

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:42am
post #6 of 27

I'm trying to figure out how to make the "bubbles". However, I think they are more like barreled tubes without a bottom and I have no idea how to make that. I've searched and searched chocolate molds and can't find any Any suggestions? (I've tried to find a way to contact cakegirls since it is their original design but haven't been able to find anything. :/ ) If I roll out a small ball of fondant and press the center down would that make them too heavy to stay secured on the cake? How far in advance can I make the "bubbles". If I make them in far enough in advance that they dry any suggestions on how to adhere them to the fondant? I really appreciate any advice/help you can give.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:02am
post #7 of 27

Those looklike chocolate curls to me. I bet they used that machine that spins a chocolate 'drum' around and scrapes it off into curls. It has to be just the right temp for it to work.

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:05am
post #8 of 27

It looks like a really cool technique, however they did it.

I would try with balls of fondant, and then like said above, use a ball tool to push and slowly open the hole as you rotate and pull on the tool. You'll probably have to cup it in your hand to help it keep its shape. If you do it that way, I would think you can make them weeks in advance.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:09am
post #9 of 27

It looks like the chocolate curls that Zane Beg does on the Sweetlife site with Norm Davis. They use a special chocolate tool. Check it out.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:22am
post #10 of 27

When I saw Zane make them he used a small round cutter. The way he scrapped/shaved and twisted his hand made the curl. However, I'm not sure that is what I am seeing is the picture. I need to figure out how to make it bigger.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:39am
post #11 of 27

Those are chocolate truffle shells. You fill them with ganache and dip them in more chocolate to make truffles. You can buy them pre-made or you can make them yourself - you can buy the candy molds online (I got mine here: https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8680-two-piece-mold-hard-candy-ball-24-cavity.aspx )

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleD

It looks like chocolate shells. Small round hollow balls. I have had samples of them from my supplier. They gave me many different chocolate curls and fancy cups these were part of them. When I priced them they where very expensive. you might fined a mold and make them yourself.

I agree with tripleD. I saw these from my supplier also. Personally I think it would cost just as much to make as buy given all the labor to get them looking like that.

They may look yellow on the website, probably enhanced. They are more like an ivory yellow because they are made with white chocolate.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #13 of 27

MadMillie, when i took his demo, he used the tool that i am talking about and then i bought it. He might not sell them anymore. I took his demo , several yrs. ago at ices convention.

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:01am
post #14 of 27

LindaF144a, who is your supplier? It definately might be worth buying them rather than putting all that time and effort into them.

WykdGud, the link you gave me looks like it could work but I'm a virgin chocolatier here so if this sounds stupid, please forgive me. The cake design doesn't look like it has ganache in the middle and is left hollow. Can I use this mold to create a hollow tube?

Zane does awesome work but I have never seen the technique you all are talking about and have very little experience with chocolate. Is there a tutorial available on it? Is it something that would be easy to master?

If I would make hollowed fondant balls, how would you suggest I secure them to the fondant?

WykdGud Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:10am
post #15 of 27

You can buy them pre-made. I haven't looked for them recently, but I've seen them on Albert Uster's website and pastrychef.com.

To use that mold, you just pour the melted chocolate in, shake it around and pour out the excess and pop it in the freezer to harden. You will get empty shells.

I only mentioned that they are filled with ganache so you would know what the shells are used for - it's clear from the picture though that the shells are hollow.

MadMillie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadMillie Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:18am
post #16 of 27

Here is a previous post on making the chocolate curl. He sells a tool to make them. However, you can use other tools you already have. There are alot of youtube videos on making curls.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6033396-.html

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:54am
post #17 of 27

They do look like the chocolate shells-I've also seen on Albert Uster Imports. Not sure how much they are.

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:09am
post #18 of 27

I agree that they do look like chocolate shells. However, there is no way I can afford them so I think I'm gonna have to go with plan B and either make my own out of chocolate or use hollowed out fondant balls. Which would you recommend?

WykdGud Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:12am
post #19 of 27

I think the cheapest way would be to buy the molds I linked to, and use candy melts (no tempering needed) and make your own shells. It's really not that hard.

dzh115 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dzh115 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 4:58am
post #20 of 27

I think I may have found the chocolate shells. The website is from Canada but I believe they ship to the US. http://www.mccalls.ca/itemdesc.asp?ic=5327&eq=&Tp=

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 5:14am
post #21 of 27

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I think I will be able to move forward on this cake. You're the best CCers!

warchild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
warchild Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 8:50am
post #22 of 27

You can also purchase the mold at Kitchen Krafts, They have them listed as sour ball/hard candy mold, but its more expensive that what WykdGud has on her link.

http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_S5B1

Here's instructions on how to make the chocolate shells. If you look at photo 7, they look a lot like the hollow choco balls in your cake photo.

http://www.onestopcandle.com/chocolate/bullseye.php

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:32am
post #23 of 27

this has been a very informative thread thanks so much for all of the info and links

Vanessa7 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 2:45pm
post #25 of 27

Thank you so much warchild! icon_biggrin.gif Being able to see the instructions sure does help. Do you have any suggestions on a quick way to adhere the chocolate pieces to the fondant?

WykdGud Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 3:04pm
post #26 of 27

You can melt some more chocolate and put it in a disposable piping bag and use that to "glue" the shells to the fondant.

warchild Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa7

Thank you so much warchild! icon_biggrin.gif Being able to see the instructions sure does help. Do you have any suggestions on a quick way to adhere the chocolate pieces to the fondant?

You're very welcome!

As for adhering, I'd follow WykdGud's advice and use melted chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%