Can I Substitute Butter Flavored Shortening For Butter?

Baking By madicakes Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 3:43pm by madicakes

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #1 of 4

I am making cupcakes using Sylvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake recipe. I am low on butter and would rather not have to run to the store to get some...can I substitute butter flavored shortening and still get good results?

3 replies
Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:09pm
post #2 of 4

yes you can but it won't have the exact same flavor as butter (imo)

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 4

Not necessarily. You have to adjust the amount. For every ounce of butter, put in .80 ounce of shortening and add .20 ounces of liquid.

Butter is not all fat, it is about 80% fat and, 20% other stuff, mostly liquid. So multiply the amount of butter by .80 and that will tell you how much shortening to add in. Then multiply the butter by .20 to find out how much liquid to add back in. That will keep the recipe in balance.

You can try a direct substitution, but if you don't get the same results you will know why. Plus butter flavored shortening does not taste at all like butter. Although Alton Brown and Shirley Corriher swear by it, so go figure. It is all in the personal taste buds.

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks guys! I ended up having to run to the store anywayt for milk (my husband is addicted....lol) so I just picked up some butter too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%