How Expensive Is Sps?

Decorating By cakification Updated 15 Jun 2011 , 1:59pm by ajwonka

cakification Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 17

so after my recent cake disasster, posted in the disasters section, I am defiantly looking into new support systems for my cakes. The question I have, since i cant seem to figure it out on my own, is how expensive would SPS be for a 2 tier or 3 tier cake? Does it depend on the size of the tiers?

The reason I'm asking is because I only do this as a hobby, and while of course I want my cakes to be the best they possibly can, ( and preferably MAKE IT TO THEIR DESTINATION!) I cant afford to spend $100 on every cake i make. I don't mind spending the money on ingredients, because i just consider it the cost of my hobby, but I have this fear that SPS is going to be really expensive.

Also, do you need to use SPS on a two tier, or just three tier and bigger?

Thanks for your help!

16 replies
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:58pm
post #2 of 17

I just purchased a 6" and 8" plates and a package of 4" legs, and with shipping, it was a little more than $20. I would suggest SPS for any tiered cake that you are transporting. Very stable and relatively inexpensive. Good luck!

Sorelle Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 17

I just got the entire system for a square cake for about a 100.00 at Global Sugar Art. Go there and search under "cake support" it doesn't come up if you search sps.

cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 17

I just purchased a 6" and 8" plates and a package of 4" legs, and with shipping, it was a little more than $20. I would suggest SPS for any tiered cake that you are transporting. Very stable and relatively inexpensive. Good luck!

2txmedics Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 17

wow, thats a good price! where at cakegirl?

cakification Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks guys, but this is why im confused... one person says $20, and the other says $100? does it depend on supplier, and size of tiers?

poohsmomma Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 17

Look on the link below:

http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/Products.asp?CategoryID=303

The 6" plates run less than $2. apiece, but they come in pkg of 6. The 4" legs come in a pkg of 12 for 6.95.
Very reasonable. I'm just a hobbyist, but they are reusable, so I throw them in the dishwasher and reuse them.

cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

wow, thats a good price! where at cakegirl?

Oasis supply. Also, you can buy the plates individually. You don't have to buy them in a package. You will have to buy the legs in a package, though.

cakeflake80 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 4:45am
post #9 of 17

I purchase mine through Global Sugar Art, but I am looking around to see if I can find it cheaper. For a typical three tier cake, lets say 10",8", and 6" tiers, you will need an 8" plate and a 6" plate plus 8 columns (the legs for the plates). The 4" grecian columns come in sets of 12 and they are around 8.00, so you could do either one three tier and one two tier, or three two tiers with just one bag. Then you will need the plates, which are not expensive.....anywhere from 2.00-5.00 depending on the sizes needed. Most of my cakes are two tiers, so I calculated the cost to be just around 5.00 for SPS....a little less than 10.00 for three tiered cakes. The shipping is what kills me, which is why I try to buy as many as I can afford each time I order so that I can get by for a few months without having to order more.

KSMill Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 5:44am
post #10 of 17

I have an additional question, is you're using the SPS system, do you still put the cake on a cardboard and then glue the cake board to the plate to set it up or do you place your cake directly on the plate?

cakeflake80 Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 6:04am
post #11 of 17

You still use the cardboard cake rounds. You have to poke a hole in the center of the cardboard round BEFORE you put your cake on it. Then just ice/fondant/etc. as usual. When you have inserted the plate and legs into the bottom tier, you then 'glue' the top cake (which is on the cardboard round) to the plate. I use buttercream and melted chocolate to secure them. It's very easy....I had a cake disaster last summer and have used SPS ever since.

mombabytiger Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 17

Not as expensive as a cake that falls over! icon_lol.gif

love2makecakes Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMill

I have an additional question, is you're using the SPS system, do you still put the cake on a cardboard and then glue the cake board to the plate to set it up or do you place your cake directly on the plate?

Here's the instructions. (A sticky from the Cake Decorating page)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

I use it and love it! Just do not forget to make hole in cardboard before icing your cake!

cakification Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Not as expensive as a cake that falls over! icon_lol.gif

Lol... So true!

leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 17

::wipes tears of joy from eyes::

I couldn't have answered better myself!

When you're on the Oasis Supply site don't forget your Cake Central coupon!
http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/MoreInfo.asp?ProductID=1~.CAKE+CENTRAL

Sassy74 Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:47pm
post #16 of 17

I'd say just do it, dear. Oasis has good prices on SPS supplies, and as previously stated, they can be reused at least a couple of times.

I had a major cake disaster a year ago, and immediately switched to SPS. Just a couple of weeks ago, I transported a big ol' 4 tier square fully assembled to the venue without so much as an icing crack. SPS would be a bargain at twice the price.

ajwonka Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 1:59pm
post #17 of 17

I require a refundable equipment rental fee for those times that i don't cut the cake. A few choose to forfeit the $20 but most return the sps. Wouldn't make a tiered cake without it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%