Trade Fair Specifically Aimed At Lgbt Sector

Business By Dayti Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm by dchockeyguy

Dayti Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 14

In a couple of weeks I will be the only cake vendor at a fair specifically aimed at Lesbians, Gays, Bisexuals and Transsexuals. I will also be selling cupcakes. Other vendors are travel agents, luxury items, clothing, home decor, health/beauty salons/spas, event organisers etc. The fair coincides with Gay Pride week here (apparently 1.2m visitors come here for this!), and a high flow of people is expected at the fair (it's free entry).

Just wondering if you have any cool ideas that might need adjusting to appeal more to people of these genres...I plan on taking my dummy cakes from the bakery, have made an additional one that is rainbow coloured with lots of glitter icon_biggrin.gif And I will be baking (and hopefully selling!) 100's of cupcakes.

I dunno, I personally am straight and don't really know anyone who isn't - any advice appreciated. Or maybe I should do as I normally would at a trade fair/bridal fair. Thanks!

13 replies
Sangriacupcake Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 14

Do what you usually do! LGBT aren't from another planet. icon_smile.gif Avoid stereotypes and simply provide examples of delicious, beautiful cakes & cupcakes.

AnotherCaker Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangriacupcake

Do what you usually do! LGBT aren't from another planet. icon_smile.gif Avoid stereotypes and simply provide examples of delicious, beautiful cakes & cupcakes.

That.

Dayti Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:48pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks guys. That's what I thought, but figured I'd ask just in case icon_smile.gif

dawncr Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 14

Another thought:

Show a few possibilities for different toppers. Of course, there could be floral or non-figural toppers, but also include options like lesbian or gay couple figurines, or mix-and-match bride/groom types that could be personalized.
Even if you don't want to purchase these to have on hand, just having a photo or book of options might be nice.
http://shop.gayweddings.com/cake-tops.aspx

Does your rainbow cake have the spectrum colors outside or inside? I love the idea of a traditional white-frosted wedding cake that has rainbow layers on the inside.
http://www.marthastewart.com/256688/rainbow-cake

Dayti Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:34pm
post #6 of 14

No, it's a dummy cake, so just coloured on the outside (its a 5 tier - each tier is a different colour, and the base is violet, but I skipped indigo). I will try and do some figures too like you suggest, although I don't have a lot of time in the next 2 weeks and I take ages to do them!

I thought briefly about making rainbow cupcakes as one of the "flavours", but I think I'll have to make so many overall that it would just take too long with all that colouring of batter etc.

dawncr Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayti

No, it's a dummy cake, so just coloured on the outside (its a 5 tier - each tier is a different colour, and the base is violet, but I skipped indigo).

Sounds like it will be beautiful. You're right--I wasn't thinking that a rainbow-layered cake would be a lot of work (and cake) just for a display that won't be eaten.

Your cupcakes are there for tasting, and I agree about the work involved in colouring that many.

It's great that you'll be the only cake business there. Have lots of business cards read!

jason_kraft Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 14

You may want to have a few vegan options as well, I've noticed that there is some overlap between the LGBT and vegan communities.

Dayti Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks. Guess I will be trying out vegan recipes this week. You people in the US (or probably anywhere outside of Spain) are lucky to have all the substitutes available for different diets. I mean egg replacers, for example. When I have done egg free before I had to sub apple sauce since that was all I could find.

jason_kraft Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 14

Specialized egg-replacer products (usually potato starch) don't really work too well in cakes anyway, baking soda and vinegar work better. For example:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/vegan-chocolate-cake/Detail.aspx

Dayti Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:24pm
post #11 of 14

OK, that's good to know, thanks!

Sangriacupcake Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Specialized egg-replacer products (usually potato starch) don't really work too well in cakes anyway, baking soda and vinegar work better. For example:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/vegan-chocolate-cake/Detail.aspx

That's basically "wacky cake"--a recipe that many of our grandmas made in the 30's & 40's before there was much awareness of veganism. The cake is so good that no knows it's vegan.

Dayti, if you use this recipe, your customers at the trade fair will be impressed! icon_smile.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #13 of 14

I am not into the LGBT scene, but I want to see your dummy cake! Sounds really cute.

dchockeyguy Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 14

I think it's great that a) you have something like this to attend and b) that you're going for it.

People are right, you don't need to do anything special. Through websites like Cake Wrecks and others, I see all kinds of things people try to do to appeal to LGBT people like male anatomy items, etc. It's just stupid. I think the rainbow cake sounds nice, and I totally would have skipped Indigo too. (I always do when I do anything rainbow themed, but maybe I'm just lazy).

I would suggest maybe adding some sanding sugar to some of your cupcakes for some sparkle if you don't do that. Sparkly things are always attractive. Just be nice to everyone, and I'm sure they'll LOVE your stuff!! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%