I Just Don't Understand

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 17 Jun 2011 , 3:19am by Kitagrl

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:54am
post #31 of 43

Okay awesome thank you! I am excited to try it. It is exhausting to think of the billions of things there are to try to get a better looking cake.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:15am
post #32 of 43

I use the plain gold coloured cardboard only bc I can't get the cake drums which is what I really need. Shipping is just too expensive & to pay for an extra suitcase defeats the point bc they are bulky so if I paid the extra $50 (for a second suitcase) and yet I can only fit 30 odd in I end up paying way too much.
I did get some boxes from my local grocery store and cut them to size and then I covered them in foil for the last cake I did bc I've been having trouble with the fondant cracking as I place the cake in the box. Seems to work well, although I'd prefer the professional ones as they look much neater but I have to make do!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:04am
post #33 of 43

I cover mine in fondant, over the 1/2 " cake drum. It's easy to do the night before, fairly quick and easy. I trim the edge and hot glue a ribbon around the edge.

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:44am
post #34 of 43

I usually use a cake pan that's the same size as the base i want to trace a circle onto my foamcore, then cut out with an exacto knife. Roll out fondant onto freezer paper, place foamrcore (with a layer of piping gel smeared on) on top and trim to board size, flip board over and smooth out. For the ribbon on the edge of the foamcore, I use straight pins and stick it right into foamcore. I do this a well in advance so the fondant can harden.

For those that add the fondant after the cake is on the board, do you have issues with imprints since the fondant doesn't have time to harden? It seems it might be harder to transport this way...

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:23pm
post #35 of 43

Not usually but you do need to be extra careful...often though I finish a cake the night prior to delivery so it still has time to harden...but you are right you have to be careful when handling. Sometimes it's worth it to save the fondant especially if it's a really large base icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:28pm
post #36 of 43

Of course you should charge more if you cover in fondant. Time is money and it takes time whether or not you make your own or purchase RTU fondant it takes time to roll out and cover the board, especially if you are extending out decor or doing an intricate pattern other than just blanketing the board. Plus if you do make your own it does take time to do so. And I personally don't like the look of MMF. It is always shiney and I prefer a porceline look.

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:50pm
post #37 of 43

I must admit, I was guilty of this very thing. UNTIL, my cousin (who also is a caker) threatened to disown me, LOL!

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:12pm
post #38 of 43

CakesdivIne I understand what you mean. I have just always considered it part of my overall pricing because I don't do any cakes without it.

Btw I get a porcelain non shiny finish with my MMF unless I rub shortening on the outside.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:39pm
post #39 of 43

I personally don't want to deal with the additional time involved and I love Fondarific.

debbief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbief Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 8:52pm
post #40 of 43

I also use wrapping paper, scrapbook paper, tissue paper, whatever I can find to enhance the look of the cake. Then cover it in clear contact paper. All of my cakes are on a cardboard rounds so they dont come in contact with the board. Ive also covered boards in fondant and sometimes use an impression mat. My dh cuts plywood boards for me. My problem is that he cut a bunch that were pretty big compared the size of my cakes. Then I couldnt get him to re-cut before I needed to use them. So a lot of my boards look huge in comparison to my cakes. But I still think it looks a lot better than plain cardboard or foil.

I bought a big roll of clear contact paper at the dollar store and I always have remnants of wrapping paper and tissue paper to choose from so the cost is minimal. Yes it does take a little more time, but if I'm going to spend my time making the cake look as good as possible, I may as well spend a little extra time on the board. That said, I'm a hobby baker. But honestly, I think I would do it even if it was a business for me.

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 1:30am
post #41 of 43

Debi...you are SO not a hobby baker!!
Your cakes are just perfect. thumbs_up.gif

mommachris

KodiSnip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KodiSnip Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:04am
post #42 of 43

I wrap my cardboard circles in gift wrap or colored construction paper (anything pretty and colorful) and use double sided tape to adhere them to my cardboard circles and then wrap in press and seal plastic wrap. You can see right through it and its food safe. I always forget to add ribbon around the edges most of the time and am just glad I get the cake there in one piece!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Jun 2011 , 3:19am
post #43 of 43

I don't like "wasting" fondant on a board, LOL, although I admit it looks gorgeous! If its requested, I do charge a little extra and do it.

I have a huge collection of colored foils which I wrap the boards/drum/board in to coordinate with the cake, and sometimes put a ribbon around it if I feel the need.

I use double stick carpet tape to attach the base cardboard of the bottom cake to the foil covered board.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%