How Do I Ship Cupcakes?

Baking By Christine28 Updated 7 Jul 2011 , 6:39am by scp1127

Christine28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christine28 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:48am
post #1 of 6

I'm experimenting with the idea of shipping cupcakes as part of my business. Does anyone sell special containers for this? If you have ideas for shipping successfully, please share!

5 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 6

Did you ever get any help with this question? I also want to learn, have a couple of family members I want to ship to.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 6

We've looked into shipping cupcakes and we decided against it...to make sure they arrive fresh shipping would have to be next day (and even then there's no guarantees), so it would be way too expensive.

I know of at least one company that ships cupcakes, but they ship them unfrosted and individually wrapped with the frosting in a separate container.

Cakeuhlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeuhlicious Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6

Crumbs freezes theirs and ships them in an insulated contrainer over dry ice. The shipping cost is the real issue. If you're selling a dozen cupcakes, to get them there next day or even 2nd day if you're freezing them as described, would still cost $50-$70 in shipping. Your customers would be looking at $100+ for a dozen cupcakes. Its probably not a service you would find yourself using often.

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 6 Jul 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 6

Georgetown Cupcake ships their cupcakes. You could check out their website or e-mail/call and ask. I know that they don't always arrive looking as good as they did when they left the store. I've been really wanting to try their cupcakes since I don't live anywhere near there, but between the cost of a dozen and shipping I'm just not sure it's worth it!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Jul 2011 , 6:39am
post #6 of 6

You need an FDA license and everything that goes with it to ship cupcakes across state lines. Those big companies are following the rules. Williams-Sonoma does it the same way. It is very expensive to ship.

Check with the Dept of Ag in your state for the application. Non-compliance comes with hefty federal fines. They require the proper kitchen, registration with the Bioterrorism Act, a recall protocol, proper FDA issued labeling, and specific log sheets of production kept on file. If you get caught, it won't be your local HD at your door, it will be the feds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%