Help Pls! Interesting Request, Australia - Price 3D Pig 21St

Decorating By CandyCU Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm by CandyCU

CandyCU Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 4

Calling out to my fellow Australian (and overseas) cake decorators, please I need your help on how to go about pricing this cake:

I just received an email for a last minute 21st cake for the 18th June in the shape of a pig (as birthday girl loves pigs). I don't know the number of guests or where I'll have to deliver to yet.

Was thinking perhaps 9"-10" size cake???

1. Where do I start with pricing a sculpted cake?
2. Last minute cakes - should I charge a little extra?

Was thinking about the $250-$300 mark but I'm really not sure...

I still haven't decided if I'm going ahead with the order, just wondering if it was worth my while, time & stress (I have 2 little ones to manage) though it would be interesting to test my skills on such an intriguing cake.

I'd like to give her an email response fairly promptly...

Please, please, please any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

3 replies
CandyCU Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:13am
post #2 of 4

bump!

cabecakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #3 of 4

Looking at your cakes, I think you certainly have the skill level to accomplish it. What do you usually charge per serving? I would charge her that and then tack on a % for last minute order. I'd say go for it, but definitely make it worth your while for the added stress. Besides, if you charge her extra for the last minute order she will be more apt to give you advanced notice on the next order. I would just let her know, because it is last minute it will require you working longer hours then what you and "your staff" would normally work (meaning extra cost to you means extra cost to her). Assuming you have "staff".

CandyCU Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for your reply Jackie,

I don't have any "staff", though it would be nice to have someone clean up after me! I swear after I've finished a cake my kitchen and dining table look like a bomb hit! Twice!

Anyway, I've decided not to take this order on under my hubby's advice, I tend to put too much pressure on myself as it is. Although, it didn't feel very nice having to turn down a cake order but I did give her contacts of a couple of fellow decorators.

You know, I don't actually have a "per serving" charge. I have a pricing chart with cake sizes, prices for basic decoration on soft frosting or fondant covered cakes. My prices increase as the complexity of the decoratinos increase. Each cake is custom made so custom quoted. I know it's not what the majority of decorating professional out there are doing but at the moment it's working for me. I might look into changing it in the future if I get much busier.

Cheers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%