Outdoor Wedding Cake Made With Buttercream

Decorating By irishlindaone Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm by 2txmedics

irishlindaone Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 5

How long will a wedding cake made with buttercream be ok out in the heat?
It will be Crisco buttercream and it's in the Florida heat.

4 replies
sweettreat101 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:12am
post #2 of 5

Depends. Will it be all shortening or shortening and butter. What time of the day? Will it be shaded or in direct sun light. I made my cousins wedding cake last summer all butter cream but her wedding was in the evening and the cake table was under a huge shade tree. I personally won't use Crisco I would use Hi ratio if you can get it. I usually limit my cakes to four hours but they are never in direct sun light and you would want to use a filling that doesn't require refrigeration.

indydebi Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:12am
post #3 of 5

Mine holds up fine. 99.9% guaranteed. It uses regular crisco.

Here's the recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Here's the outdoor test a fellow CC'er did:

I personally have had a cake sit outside for 5 hours, in 90+ degree heat with something like 90% humidity (the thunderstorm broke out about 15 minutes after I left the wedding, after cutting and serving the cake at 7:00 p.m.) I set the cake up at 2:00 in the afternoon, the hottest part of the day. No melting what so ever. thumbs_up.gif

fedra Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 5:12am
post #4 of 5

I made a 2 tier birthday cake and several cupcakes today. we had 101 degree weather in Texas and the event was for a pool party. It held up excellent! I used Shugarshacks buttercream and made sure my cake had enough supports.

2txmedics Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 5

Ive used INDYS RECIPE, Which I love, get it requested and recently also Sugar shacks for an out door party since its non persihable, but IVE NEVER had problems with Indys at all and I live in the hot/humid Texas heat!

Quote by @%username% on %date%