Is There A Wedding Servings Guide On This Site...?

Decorating By WhenTalentsCollide Updated 14 Jun 2011 , 1:02am by leah_s

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:20am
post #1 of 10

I have a wedding cake to feed 100 people and have never done a cake this size...

It will be a 3 tiered cake and I need to figure out which sizes to make to assure 100 wedding servings...

Also when you are doing the servings, are you to take out the top tier in the equation as that is typically the one the couple saves to take home...?

The stand the customer chose will support up to a 14,12 and a 10" on top...

Thanks... thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
DolceDreams Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #2 of 10

A 6", 9" and 12" serves 100 people exactly. Ask the bride if she would like to serve the top tier. (In my experience, they usually choose to serve it). If they would like to save the top maybe you could add a 4" top tier. The Wilton site has a wedding cake cutting guide.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the quick response...!

I will ask the bride if she wants to serve the top layer or save it...!

flourjuice Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:36am
post #4 of 10

Google Earlene's cake chart. This is a great tool for future cakes as well! Good luck!

MadMillie Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:56am
post #5 of 10

Here is the link to all of Earlenes charts.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Index2.html

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #6 of 10

Ok now I'm not sure where to price myself... Customer was considering getting a cake from Giant and their 3 tier cakes to serve 100 are in the $200 dollar range...

We are going to do 3 tiers 8,10,12 and each tier will be fondanted with cala Lillys on top of each tier. We will also have an accent skirt on each tier (1 lilac, 1 pink, 1 blue).

We are providing the tier stand as well which is $50. I'm thinking I will have $110 worth of supplies into this cake so what do I charge? I'm at $225 right now but feel with fondant I should be asking for more.

Any input?

flourjuice Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:59am
post #7 of 10

Fondant covered should be at least $3 a serving, in my opinion.

DolceDreams Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 10

I agree with flourjuice. I charge 3 per serving for my fondant cakes. Is "Giant" a grocery store? If so, I would definitely NOT base your price on theirs. Call the bakeries in your area and find out what they charge per slice and base your price off that. But don't undercut them too much. The only bakery in my town charges 4 per serving for fondant and 3 for buttercream. Because I am just starting out, I went a dollar less per serving on both. As I build clientele, I am planning on raising my prices to just slightly lower than theirs to avoid cheapening the value of cake around here. But please, don't base your price from a grocery store. Your cakes are custom and tailored to suit in ways that a grocery bakery cannot. HTH icon_razz.gif

Sangriacupcake Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 12:50am
post #9 of 10

For future reference, you might find this helpful when planning tier sizes:

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

leah_s Posted 14 Jun 2011 , 1:02am
post #10 of 10

Do NOT use Earlene's charts. They will cause you to give away free cake. The Wilton chart is the standard in the business and provides plenty of cake. Also, commercial toppers are sized for a 6" top tier which is also standard in the biz. If a florist is making a floral topper, they will also assume a 6" top tier.

I charge $4 per serving for fondant cakes, $10 per tier for the SPS system and the cake drum, $50 for delivery and a charge per gp flower.

I'd be at about $520 for that cake.

You are not a grocery store and should not benchmark to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%