How Do We Business Owners Get Wholesale Prices...

Decorating By WhenTalentsCollide Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 3:59am by Kitagrl

WhenTalentsCollide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhenTalentsCollide Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:16am
post #1 of 9

On supplies, like cake stands and other things to run our business...

Or are we stuck paying retail, and trying to buy everything one piece at a time with our 40% coupons from Michaels and AC Moore...?

Thanks for any input...

8 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:47am
post #2 of 9

CK products has a wholesale application that you can fill out with your business license information. That will save a bunch of money on supplies. If there's a food supplier in your area you can call and ask them if you can set up a wholesale account. Fair warning, though, I have a wholesale account with a local food supplier and their prices for an account my size are actually mroe expensive than my cost to buy the same ingredients at Walmart.

On the other hand, I have a wholesale account with Boyajian online, and they're a LOT cheaper wholesale than buying the extracts directly from them without the discount. If you check on websites there's often a link to wholesale accounts with a number to call for information.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:55am
post #3 of 9

I filled out an application for CalJava months ago and they never got back with me. thumbsdown.gif

I wrote to Fat Daddio but they have a $500 minimum order.

I have an account with Sysco but I only buy Sweetex there. Everything else is too expensive. I buy other stuff at Sam's Club.

Seems like some places have minimum orders so....oh well. I do still buy my boards at Michaels because I haven't gotten to the point I want to spend $200 buying all bulk boards. I probably should, though....might think about doing that.

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:08am
post #4 of 9

Thanks for the reponses, I typically buy all my ingredients at Walmart and Costco and don't have enough business to be buying huge bulk orders...

Guess I will continue to go the way I have been at this point... thumbs_up.gif

The 50% AC Moore coupons are a real deal though as well...!

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:09am
post #5 of 9

I also have an account with CK Products. A friend of mine is also a baker and we combine orders to meet the minimum $150 order amount, not that we really have to. It's pretty easy to hit the minimum without trying that hard just because they have such a huge variety of things you can use. You have to have a federal id to get an account with them. I hardly ever go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's for supplies anymore.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #6 of 9

Without buying in bulk you usually can't get wholesale prices. We buy most of our supplies from Costco, Target, the local restaurant supply store, and Amazon.com.

Sometimes retail prices actually are lower than bulk prices. For example Target sells powdered sugar for $1.35/2#, that's a cheaper unit price than any 25# or 50# package we've seen.

WhenTalentsCollide Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #7 of 9

Yeah I can get GV 10x at walmart for $1.16 per 2#'s...

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:55am
post #8 of 9

CK Products is great and I looked into getting a wholesale account with bakemark but it wasn't any cheaper than sam's. I think kind arthur flour has a really good wholesale program with good prices though

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:59am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy42088

CK Products is great and I looked into getting a wholesale account with bakemark but it wasn't any cheaper than sam's. I think kind arthur flour has a really good wholesale program with good prices though

We have "The Restaurant Store" here, too, where I get bubble tea straws, boxes and cups for my tastings, gloves, scoops, and sheet pans... and will probably soon go ahead and get some cases of cake boards there as well. Its not wholesale, really, but its decent prices. They sell things by the case, but they also break a case up to sell by the piece as well for most things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%