How Do You Think They Attached These Leaves?

Decorating By VanillaCoke Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm by southerncross

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to replicate this gorgeous leafy cake, and I'm considering how to attach the leaves.

http://weddings.theknot.com/ODB/themes/realweddings/detailview.aspx?STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&type=3&id=68669&STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&colors=Green&Wedding%20Details=Cake&ODBTHEMENAME=Real-Weddings&MsdVisit=1

Do you think they are wired in some way? Or just glued on? Anyone have any tips for this? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 6

Not sure which cake you mean...the link takes me to the knot's homepage, and I can't see any cakes there.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 6

Okay I found some cakes...do you mean the one called 'Earthy Green'?
I'm thinking they could easily be glued on with a little royal icing, or gum glue. Most of them are very flat against the cake, so I don't think they're wired.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 6

They look glued with either royal icing, buttercream or perhaps chocolate. They don't look wired. If you make these be sure and use gum paste and not fondant because gum paste can be rolled very thin and it dries hard and pretty quickly. They would be much lighter than fondant leaves and would hold on easier.

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 6

I don't have a picture to share (I was just so glad to get the cake done and delivered that I completely forgot the camera) but I did a similar cake last year. After piping the vine, I attached leafs with RI. The leaves were made from green tinted white molding chocolate, cut and veined just like sugar paste. I had tried to make the leafs by painting the chocolate onto real leafs but there were too many leafs and they broke too easily. Good luck and let us know how you finally do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%