Tropical Cake Request

Baking By sweettreat101 Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 6:27am by tbkimber

sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone has substituted rum for the liquid in a white cake before. I have made the tropical breeze cake recipe but I don't want a dense cake so I was wondering if I could use Loranne oils to turn a white cake into something tropical.

3 replies
bakingkat Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 5:39am
post #2 of 4

I make a tropical cake that has pineapple juice, coconut and macadamia in it and it has been one of my most ordered cakes. I've altered the recipe to make it from scratch, but I got the basic idea from one of the cake doctor books, so i'm sure it could work.

platinumlady Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:01am
post #3 of 4

I'm not sure about the rum...however, here is the recipe I use for Tropical Cake

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup lightly salted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 20-oz can crushed pineapple in juice
3/4 cup flaked, sweetened coconut

1. In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter for 5 minutes. Mixture will become light and fluffy, and the color will lighten.

2. Beat in sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until combined.

3. In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to wet ingredients on low speed until just combined. Batter will be thick.

4. Stir in pineapple with juice, and coconut.

5. Pour into two greased and floured 9" round cake pans.

6. Bake at 350 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.

Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them.

7. Frost with CakeBoss Cream Cheese Frosting and garnish as desired with fresh pineapple slices, strawberries, flaked coconut, or macadamia nuts.

tbkimber Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 6:27am
post #4 of 4

If you want the rum you could make simple syrup and add the rum to it then brush it over your cake layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%