Lavender Flavoured Bc??

Baking By robin3845 Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm by seedrv

robin3845 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robin3845 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 6

Help! I have a customer who wants lavender flavoured BC on her cupcaKES?? I've searched everywhere and all I can find is lavender oil that you would use with soap! Is this edible?? I found a couple of recipes that call for lavender essential oils and I think thats what I found but I'm not sure if I can use that oil or not?

5 replies
Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 6

I'm in the UK where we have sweets called Parma Violets, these can be crushed into a powder and added to buttercream to make lovely lavender bc. I've also seen an episode of Cupcake wars where they simply added dried lavender to the bc, although i do recall they have to use a very small amount as too much made them taste like soap! Good luck with this x

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 6

I use Lavender extract made by Star Kay White, and it's a lovely flavor. Go easy, as it is very flavorful and fragrant.

http://www.starkaywhite.com/extract_roselav.html

Good Luck,
Kat

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 6

Ive also heard of bakers crushing lavender flowers into cake and frosting. I dont have any lavender plants so I a bottle of lavender extra. This isnt the site I bought it from but I cant remember where I got it off hand. I just got it in to make a lemon lavender cake but havent used it yet.

http://www.lavenderwind.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=18

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 6

I use lavender buds and run them through a food processor imo this is the freshest and best tasting way to achieve lavender flavored anything. I buy mine on line at "mountain rose herbs" although I've been told they are also at "Whole Foods" Be sure to get organic so you know no pesticides have been used. Food grade in this case means no pesticides and fewer twiggy parts, more buds. hth
One of my most popular cakes is lavender cake with lemon/lavender icing. wonderful

seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorelle

I use lavender buds and run them through a food processor imo this is the freshest and best tasting way to achieve lavender flavored anything. I buy mine on line at "mountain rose herbs" although I've been told they are also at "Whole Foods" Be sure to get organic so you know no pesticides have been used. Food grade in this case means no pesticides and fewer twiggy parts, more buds. hth
One of my most popular cakes is lavender cake with lemon/lavender icing. wonderful

How much do you use in your cake and how much in your frosting, if I could ask?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%