Gumpaste / Fondant Letters

Decorating By kearniesue Updated 12 Jun 2011 , 4:12pm by Crazboutcakes

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

So, how do you attach your GP or fonant letters and numbers to the top of you cakes? I made some a week ago and put them on top of a buttercream cake, and should have known better...they broke. Good thing I had extra ones..

Anyway, how do you do it without having wires that show?

Thanks!

Karen

6 replies
Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 7

Because the icing are so soft and moist, the only way rhat I do it is by putting them on tooth picks and standing them up...other wise they get soft and sometime makes a real mess. THT just my opinion

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 6:52am
post #3 of 7

Are you placing these fondant lettering flat on the cake or standing up? If flat never had a problem. if upright use toothpicks

kearniesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kearniesue Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 7

I'm standing them up. I was hoping there was a way to do it so wires or toothpicks weren't showing, but looks like that's the way I'll need to do it in the future.

Thanks!

Crazboutcakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearniesue

I'm standing them up. I was hoping there was a way to do it so wires or toothpicks weren't showing, but looks like that's the way I'll need to do it in the future.

Thanks!

You could use coloring gels to color the tooth picks before inserting other wise they really don't mix very well

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 7

Insert coffee stirrers into cake and coat wires with melted cocolate and insert into stirerrers. Chocolate will harden and hold tight.

Crazboutcakes Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Insert coffee stirrers into cake and coat wires with melted cocolate and insert into stirerrers. Chocolate will harden and hold tight.

that's a good idea never thought about it icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%