Icings To Pair With White Or Yellow Cake & Raspberry Mou

Decorating By thekern Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm by Marianna46

thekern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thekern Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 5:22am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! This is my first time posting in Cake Central's forums.

I'm in the planning stage of a bridal shower, at which I will be baking the cake. The bride says she would like a white or yellow cake with raspberry mousse, and "whatever icing that goes with it." The choices I gave her were only recipes which are tried (by me) and true: American Buttercream, Chocolate (basically ganache whipped into submission), Chocolate Ganache, and Cream Cheese but if any of you guys and gals have any other fantastic recipes, I'm certainly willing to try them out.

So after that long-a** description, my question is what icing should I pair with a white or yellow cake and rasp. mousse? Also, the cake will more than likely actually be a buttermilk cake.

Thanks, all!

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

You can tell a buttermilk cake more by its texture than by its taste, so that doesn't enter into it so much. But chocolate and raspberry is a combination that I totally adore, whether it's chocolate buttercream, whipped ganache or poured ganache. Just CHOCOLATE, however you decide to make it!

pounds6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pounds6 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 8

My customers seem to love my basic vanilla buttercream with about a quarter cup of Godiva White Chocolate liqueur added to it. Wont overpower the way chocolate sometimes can. Good Luck

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 8

[quote="pounds6"]My customers seem to love my basic vanilla buttercream with about a quarter cup of Godiva White Chocolate liqueur added to it. Wont overpower the way chocolate sometimes can. Good Luck[/quote

oooo, I'm going to have to try that!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

In answer to the OP's question, I'd have to consider just a delicious buttercream. The raspberry mousse to me would be the star and with the blend of the yellow or butter cake with a rich buttercream, it would be a stand-out IMO.
Choc and raspberry are delicious without a doubt, but to me, that takes your cake in a whole different flavor direction. It's just what you want! Either way, I don't think you'll go wrong!
icon_biggrin.gif

Sorelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sorelle Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 8

Raspberry Buttercream/ Rose Barenbaum's recipe is really nice with this too.

nonilm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonilm Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 8

Although I love chocolate and raspberry too my vote is for a vanilla buttercream. Seems "lighter" than chocolate for a shower and would let the raspberry mouse shine.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm
post #8 of 8

Okay, what's up here? When I voted, there were two votes for chocolate and I voted for chocolate, too, and there are still only two votes for chocolate. This election is rigged, I tell you. Hahaha! Actually, carmijok's and others' comments seem very cogent to me, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%