I Need Some Advice

Decorating By DinasSugarShack Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 10:02pm by DinasSugarShack

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #1 of 8

I am fairly new at this business and it seems that I am always underpricing. Anyway, I quoted a customer a price for a cake. It is is a pretty involved cake and had a lot of firsts for me so when I told her the price, I really did not know how much work would go into it.
so my question is, do I talk to her and tell her that I have to raise the price because I did not realize how much work was involved? is that tacky? My husband said that it was and just learn for next time.
I really don't know what to do, I obviously don't want to loose her as a customer but want to properly compensated for my work.
What do you think?

Dina

7 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:21am
post #2 of 8

Sorry, but I agree with your DH. Consider this a learning experience for the next time.

When presenting yourself as a professional/business, it's up to you to know what you're offering and how much you need to be paid in order to make it worth your while. If you make a mistake, sadly, you have to eat it.

JMHO
Rae

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 8

I agree, take it as a learning experience, you will know better for next time. It's not professional and I am thinking would not be received well for you to up the price on her after you quoted it. It could be viewed as a bait and switch kind of thing.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:45am
post #4 of 8

Ditto to the above answers. When I made this mistake I let them know if they ordered something similar again that the price will be higher due to the difficulty and time spent on it. I charged them what I quoted and also ask them to let anyone that asked that the price would vary based on how they wanted it decorated and some flavor choices were a different price.

HTH

Michele

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #5 of 8

Hubby is right eat the cost learn a lesson, yes it is the hard way bummer icon_sad.gif

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:05am
post #6 of 8

Sorry honey, your husband is right. It would look seriously unprofessional to increase the price. You have made an agreement with the customer and you can't go back on it. Chalk it up to experience and learn from it.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 8

I agree live and learn.. but.. remember you are new to this.. and that customer gave you the opportunity to try something you have never done before.. icon_smile.gif so you have gained experience too. Next time you will know how much to charge for sure.. been there done that!

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone for your honest opinion. I kind of knew that this was the right thing to do, but just wanted some confirmation. Anyway, next time I know better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%