is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin' on?

52 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:38am
post #2 of 53

ugh what a day.

After an early morning mtg, I got a call from my bank's fraud alert service saying that my debit card # had been compromised. The thieves used it to sign up for -

wait for it

Christian Mingle.

Then I get home after signing lots of papers at the bank only to find out I'm out of Alpine. Sooo, jump back in the care and drive to Indiana to Dawn Foods to buy a 50 # cube. I do't get started caking until after 2pm.

And I have three weddings tomorrow and 1 on Sunday. Two, 4 tier cakes and 18 dozen cupcakes for tomorrow 1 three tier for Sunday.

And I need to airbrush pearl onto a boat load of gp flowers.

It's gonna be a looong night.

And on another note, is anyone else watch TLC's My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:43am
post #3 of 53

Come on all you lurkers, no fair! I've had a tough day. Talk!!

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:44am
post #4 of 53

Nope! Watching Diners Drive-ins and Dives! lol
Trying to avoid the urge to drive to a client's home and demand payment for two cakes I delivered LAST Monday! (long story!)
Shopping tomorrow for supplies for next weeks cakes!
Good luck on all the cakes for the weekend!
C

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:55am
post #5 of 53

Right there with you Leah, Had 1 cake and 30 cupcakes, plus two 1/2 sheet pans of cheesecake those were last minute. Finished a grad cake and working on a baby shower cake. The shower cake isn't that hard it's all the stuff that she wants to go with it, a pair of gumpaste maryjane's a pair of shoes for mom to match, a pink rkt rubber duck wearing pearls, there is also a silver gumpaste baby spoon and pacifier, the top is a fondant bow. The humtity is horrible and it keeps storming waiting for the power to go out. Back to work while the lights are on.

mrsbriggs06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsbriggs06 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:56am
post #6 of 53

Recreating a cake for a friend's inlaw's 40th wedding anniversary... Dreading making peach wilton roses and a bakery border, lol!.... Thankfully the cake is for a small gathering so i am making a 4" + 6" which means only a few roses!
My friend usually lets me get quite creative with her cakes so going this traditional is definitely a change for us both!
I did try the '1M rose swirl' covered cake today for a 1 layer quickie which I took to a neighbor for her bday. She loved it and it took a whopping 5 minutes to ice, lol!

bohemiagetsajob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemiagetsajob Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #7 of 53

I watched My Big Fat Gypsy Wdding last week, Leah. It's incredible! Especially the first communion dresses.

I'm searching for owl cupcakes for my daughter to take to her last day of school party for her class. I found some with peach ring candies for eyes and chocolate cookies for feathers. Yum!

ETA: I'm sorry your debit card was used Leah, but the fact that it was used for THAT is amazing.

VickiC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiC Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:57am
post #8 of 53

Lurker here! For once I can say I am working on something. Just a small red velvet graduation cake. Bake tonight-decorate tomorrow-pick up Sunday. That gypsy show is fascinating! The gowns are amazing even for a first communion. it's also pretty sad that the wedding is the highlight of the girls life-all downhill after that.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:04am
post #9 of 53

Oh...Leah...what a bummer. Hope things go smoothly tonight.

No cakes for me tonight. I did an old fashioned simple frosted birthday cake mid-week for the son of one of my former students. The kiddos & I did the road trip to San Diego to take it to the party & then stayed over to visit. My friend is a Navy wife and her hubby is deployed so she is looking for company & distraction.

Starting to gear up for my cousin's wedding cake due on the 24th. Her big GSA order showed up so I'm stocked for SPS, cake boards, cake drum & fondant. Waiting on my aunt to get me all the persishables, cake mixes, BC, fillings, etc.

I could use some ideas on the timeline.

Cake is due late afternoon/early evening on Friday. I want to be DONE with it by Thurs night so that I have all day Friday to deal with any crises that occur.

Thursday: Finish fondant & decorations
Wednesday: Frost & start fondant
Tues: Defrost, torte, fill, crumb, settle
Sat-Mon/Tues: Bake & freeze as needed

I don't have freezer space for all 6 tiers but I don't think I can get them all baked on Tues. I'm hoping to be defrosting the ones baked earlier while I'm baking the larger tiers that won't fit in the freezer.

Does that sound reasonable?

Kristy

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:05am
post #10 of 53

All done with cake for the week! Had a Graduation cake and a Mario birthday cake. Just got done watching My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding..... that show is crazy! I am glad I am a women living in America lol

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:05am
post #11 of 53

All I'm working on tonight is my drunkness. Its my birthday this weekend. I took zero orders on purpose. going back out in an hour. I love that NYC bars are open until 4

Smokey5266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smokey5266 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:06am
post #12 of 53

writing recipes (more like a list of things I wanna try)and listening to a household of teenage girls babble on!

HobbyCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HobbyCaker Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:07am
post #13 of 53

Just got home from helping my cake buddy with her wedding cakes/cupcakes for the weekend. I wish we lived closer (65 mls) I love working with and helping her, we have so much fun! Now I am trying to decide if I want to attempt my first 5 tier wedding cake, just checked my email and there the request was! I have done up to 4 tiers (with some dummies mixed in) but 5, well, not sure. Wedding is not until October, so guess I have time to build up my confidence and to pick Leah's brain on the SPS! Yo Leah...

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:09am
post #14 of 53

Ah, Leah, I know what you mean about those days that you just can't seem to get started until... geeze, it's already 9 o'clock here!
And Mrs. Briggs... how fun!!! lol, I jsut did one for a friend, and at first I was DREADING it, because I haven't done buttercream decorations and traditional in AGES! But once I got decorating (it was a 6" and an 8") I couldn't put down my decorating bag! I had a blast with it, even if it did seem like the smallest cake in the world to never ever end lol...
Tonight, I'm finishing up a 5 tier topsy turvy gift boxes wedding cake and a sculpted high school graduation cake... get this... with the high school burning down! lol And I've gotta start baking up the cakes for a 3D Perry the Platypus birthday cake for Sunday to feed 60.
And the surag flowers.... ugh, I've been making sugar flowers all week....

leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:12am
post #15 of 53

KJ6, fine plan.

Hobby, anything you want to know about SPS, just ask.

mplaid, yo! yo! gurl, have fun!

All, yes I'm glad I'm a modern American woman too!!

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:13am
post #16 of 53

First time back in a long time since our middle son's medical crisis that started in February.

Working on a cake for friend's 2 year-old son. Taking it easy and just doing a giraffe from Wilton's Partysaurus Pan on top of a half sheet cake. We have a broken sewer so that has greatly impacted our life this week. Sigh. What I wanted to do I couldn't do because I couldn't make the design come up with the correct amount of servings. I'm really out of touch with cognitive cake thinking!

Watching food network. Have Cake Will Travel is coming on soon - has anyone seen it? Ashley Vicos has to be the sexiest cake decorator - she reminds me of Betty Boop!

I'm having challenges staying signed in to CC tonight - is anyone else experiencing this? I've had technical problems with another issue and can't get them to help me - SO FRUSTRATING! icon_confused.gif

BlueMoon73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueMoon73 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #17 of 53

mplaidgirl2 Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a good one!! I have always wanted to go to NYC! I am a west coast girl!

sparkle25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparkle25 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:14am
post #18 of 53

Working on 4 inch gum paste roses right now. I like to make a bunch of gum paste stuff all at once (the standard things I use most) and store it for whenever I need to add something to a cake. Does anyone else do this?

Sorry to hear about you card Leah. Hope everything gets sorted out.

jem2131 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jem2131 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:15am
post #19 of 53

Hello all icon_smile.gif I'm working on a bridal shower cake. Due tomorrow morning. I have a quest for u guys, I sculpted a dress shape from RKT and i would like to know if I would need dowels underneath it when I place it on my cake. Thanks

KalisCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:17am
post #20 of 53

Happy Birthday MPlaid!!!!

mplaidgirl2 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:24am
post #21 of 53

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!! and wow... Blue moon... Thats what I'm drinking tonight! My fav!!!!!

tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:25am
post #22 of 53

Im so excited, I acctually have something for the Friday night cake club. Just delivered a cake for a two yr old. A #2 with a monkey face and her name. I had to hand cut the name, due to the fact that I dont have a cricut cake. She wanted it to be like her invite, which was made with a cricut, but did not want fondant, wanted it all buttercream, where ever possible. So, I cut stuff out and then freehanded the monkey. I think it turned out well, I wish it was a little better. Woohoo, im part of the club this week. Posting the pic now.

KalisCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:26am
post #23 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ62798

I could use some ideas on the timeline.

Cake is due late afternoon/early evening on Friday. I want to be DONE with it by Thurs night so that I have all day Friday to deal with any crises that occur.

Thursday: Finish fondant & decorations
Wednesday: Frost & start fondant
Tues: Defrost, torte, fill, crumb, settle
Sat-Mon/Tues: Bake & freeze as needed

I don't have freezer space for all 6 tiers but I don't think I can get them all baked on Tues. I'm hoping to be defrosting the ones baked earlier while I'm baking the larger tiers that won't fit in the freezer.

Does that sound reasonable?

Kristy

What about going through the torte-settling process as you're baking? If that makes sense... here's how I do mine... say I have a 4 tier... I start by baking up the smallest tiers first, that way I can have all the layers baked up together so that I can work on a tier at a time if need be. So like, rather than stick in a 16", 2-8" and a 6", I'd do 3-6" and 3-8" and there I have two of the tiers already baked up. So as I cool those and put the new batch of 12" in, I can level and torte the 6" tier and 8 " tier. Then, when the 12" are done and out cooling and the 16" goes in, I can fill and crumb the 6" and 8", and torte and level the 12"... and so the process goes. I've found it makes ME be more efficient lol

leah_s Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:27am
post #24 of 53

jem, I'd say definitely yes. RKT is heavy!

sparkle, I place large orders of flowers to keep up my inventory. Lemme go count the cases in my closet. BRB.

not counting the order of about 8 cases I got in last week.

I'm prepared for nearly any flower emergency.

KalisCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:30am
post #25 of 53

Sparkle: I do that! icon_smile.gif ...except on this cake.... lol.... we'll see if I've made too many; I figure better to have too many than not enough.
Jem... do you have pics of your work in progress? after all the drama from the week, my brain is friend and needs visual aids. lol

mplaidgirl2 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:33am
post #26 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon73

mplaidgirl2 Happy Birthday!! Hope you have a good one!! I have always wanted to go to NYC! I am a west coast girl!

and ps.. I live here... Its not as fun once you live here 11 years...too expensive to go out all the time..... I turn 29 this year ahhhhhhhhh. I moved here when I was 18

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:34am
post #27 of 53

Kali-
The cake has 2 flavors within the 6 tiers. 4 of the tiers are full 4in high cakes and then 2 are shorter "single" layers that I'm baking in 3in deep pans. I'm still working out the configuration of what will be baked/frozen and what will be baked "fresh".

If I had space to bake/freeze everything, I would start doing that next week. I have to do all the baking/decorating around my 3 kids. The school age ones are now on summer vacay and the 3YO believes he's the center of the universe. He's a charming little devil.

Kristy

KalisCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #28 of 53

Awwwww, those are the fun years! When I was doing this as a hobby, we had two refrigerators and a deep freeze dedicated just for my cakes. But now I've got the walk-in here at the shop which I LOVE, although I miss being able to be at home making my cakes.
Hurry up, Rick Perry, and pass the Texas Baker's Bill!!!!

jem2131 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:44am
post #29 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

Sparkle: I do that! icon_smile.gif ...except on this cake.... lol.... we'll see if I've made too many; I figure better to have too many than not enough.
Jem... do you have pics of your work in progress? after all the drama from the week, my brain is friend and needs visual aids. lol

Thank you Leah !! and Kalis cakes this is a link .. do you think i still need support ? thankss

http://theflamingospalette.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/cake-leslies-bridal-shower/bridal-shower-cake_2_detail-2/

jem2131 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:46am
post #30 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalisCakes

Jem... do you have pics of your work in progress? after all the drama from the week, my brain is fri
end and needs visual aids. lol

this is the actual picture

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%