Patent Leather Maryjane's

Decorating By jolmk Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 9:21pm by Marianna46

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #1 of 12

I made some maryjanes out of black gumpaste and I want them to be shiney like patent leather, what can I use that won't make the soft, lots of humitity in the air. I don't have any confectioners glaze. Thanks for any ideas.

Jo

11 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 12

You can make your own confectioner's glaze with about a 50/50 mix of corn syrup and vodka. Just apply sparingly so that it won't soak your fondant and mess it up. And if it's humid, it won't dry completely, so paint them a few days before, let them dry as much as they're going to and put them on the cake just before it's going to be delivered/displayed/cut, if you can. I know from humidity, believe me!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 12

Tylose and water dries shiny. So does gum arabic and water.

Corn syrup and vodka aren't really the same as confectioner's glaze...they definitely smell better, but they work differently and dry differently. Confectioner's glaze will dry in about an hour in even the most humid kitchen.

Marianna46 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks for the info, Texas_Rose! I wish I could get my hands on some honest-to-goodness confectioner's glaze, but they don't sell it here. Oh well, half of the fun of decorating is figuring out how to make do no matter what the circumstances are. I WILL transcend!!!

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:29am
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the tips, I think that I'll get some confectioners glaze to keep on hand for such times, though I had the tylose.

Thanks again
Jo

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:41am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Corn syrup and vodka aren't really the same as confectioner's glaze...they definitely smell better, but they work differently and dry differently. Confectioner's glaze will dry in about an hour in even the most humid kitchen.

Is that a 50/50 mix of tylose and water?

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 3:50am
post #7 of 12

steam won't work?

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 4:07am
post #8 of 12

When you brush it on use one stroke per section. More than ones troke and it makes a mess of the fondant or gumpaste. Once it dries you can go over it again.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:00am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Is that a 50/50 mix of tylose and water?

I've never measured...just mix a little up in a measuring cup and use it for glue, but I noticed at one point that if I used too much glue, I ended up with shiny sections on my flowers, so after that when I've needed to make something a little shiny, if I have some tylose and water already mixed up, I'll use that.

Gum arabic is cheaper...I bought a pound of gum arabic a couple of years ago and I think it just might last me forever icon_biggrin.gif

Marianna46 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 12

You're right about CMC leaving things shiny, Texas_Rose - and yet I'd never thought of using it to actually MAKE things shiny. It's funny - I'd actually rather be using gum arabic for my glue and everything else you use CMC for, but here in Mexico it costs about twice as much as CMC and is a whole lot harder to find!

Texas_Rose Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 12

Will gum arabic work instead of tylose? I know about using it to make shiny leaves, and to make edible glitter, and adding it to royal icing, but didn't know it could be used instead of tylose.

Marianna46 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 9:21pm
post #12 of 12

As far as I know, they're basically interchangeable. I'm supposing this because the first time I tried to buy gum arabic in a cake supply store here in Mexico, I was told that they didn't sell it, but that everybody used CMC instead.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%