Not So Sweet Frosting

Baking By Iluvecake Updated 20 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm by Iluvecake

Iluvecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iluvecake Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I just got an order for a cake and they specifically asked for not "too sweet" a frosting. They have ordered cakes from me in the past...so obviously I'm a little too sweet. Any suggestions? Thanks!

7 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:00am
post #2 of 8

What recipe are you currently using?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:11am
post #3 of 8

You can sift 1/4 tsp popcorn salt in every 1 lb confectioners sugar used in your buttercream. This will cut the "sweetness" and give a pleasant (not salty) taste.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:22am
post #4 of 8

If they are looking for a cake thats not super fancy pastry pride is awesome. It isn't for roses and modeling but tastes wonderful. I also wouldn't try to fix fondant to the sides of it either. Should also be refrigerated. I could eat the whole bowl.

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:25am
post #5 of 8

I ALWAYS use the recipe for Whimsical Bakehouse House Buttercream! It does not crust, though, which I prefer for taste and texture.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:03am
post #6 of 8

What flavor of frosting are you doing? I will sometimes add a little lemon juice to help cut the sweetness.
Renee

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:25am
post #7 of 8

I invite you to try the frosting I use and have had great results and feedback! It is called Extra Special Buttercream Frosting and it is NOT sickingly sweet and tastes amazing. You can see it under the frostings in the recipe section. It also crusts beautifully and is not a heavy frosting and is smooth like silk!

Good Luck to finding what you like!

Iluvecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iluvecake Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I use just your basic buttercream. I will check out these suggestions! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%