Disappointed And Hurt

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 12:42pm by chanielisalevy

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:54pm
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

I've been meaning to email you, all of you that is. I've notice how a lot of you are filling your cakes and stacking them in tiers of various shapes and sizes.

I INVENTED THAT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! YOU"L HEAR FROM MY LAWYERS!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:56pm
post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDear

it's not even made of fondant... its made of fun foam.

What is fun foam? icon_confused.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:57pm
post #33 of 58

I bet the person who does 'signature zebra stripes' is PISSED.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:06pm
post #34 of 58

http://tartacadabra.com./nl_main.html
LOL- you mean this bow?! The one for which there is a tutorial?! icon_biggrin.gif
Send her the link to the tutorial and tell her to get a life.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:07pm
post #35 of 58
Quote:

I've been meaning to email you, all of you that is. I've notice how a lot of you are filling your cakes and stacking them in tiers of various shapes and sizes.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:07pm
post #36 of 58
Quote:

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

sandy99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy99 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:29pm
post #37 of 58

i totally agree with CakewardHo.
and if someone copy one of my cakes exactly i will be very flattering that she likes my job so much...

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:01pm
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebrina

Quote:

it's not even made of fondant... its made of fun foam.

What is fun foam? icon_confused.gif

Its not edible but you can get at hobby stores. Its sheets of thin foam, comes in many colors, some even have prints on them. I cut it into even strips and use doublestick tape to make the loops and then attach them to a base. I am a hobby baker and dont have time or patience it takes to make a real multilooped bow that no one is going to eat because its made of fondant. I stick a skewer through it to attach it to the cake like a topper (usually have a circle of fondant on top of the cake to keep it from getting in the buttercream) and after all the cake is gone, the recipent can use it for something else. Think of it like a topper.

Kinda glad I make mine from fun foam, that way I am not guilty of copyright infringement. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:46pm
post #39 of 58
Quote:

Wow... if she is going to take credit for inventing all the bows out there she better look at mine a little closer...it's not even made of fondant... its made of fun foam.

OP, by the way, I am saddened that you didn't credit the chicken who laid the eggs for your cake, or the cow for the butter & milk icon_twisted.gif

Girlfriend, forget that hater tot and keep on frosting....

icon_lol.gif ROFLMAO

YellowBrickRd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YellowBrickRd Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:49pm
post #40 of 58

icon_lol.gif I love this site-you all are just the BEST!!!!
Oh and my bows I never give time to dry so if you guys "steal" my flat bow I'm gonna pout-LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:50pm
post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindysBackyard

Quote:

OP, by the way, I am saddened that you didn't credit the chicken who laid the eggs for your cake, or the cow for the butter & milk icon_twisted.gif

that is too funny!!!

i had a friend that makes monster shirts for kids. She got a letter from a lady saying that she has a copy copyright on big white eyes with black centers (aka googly eyes) and for her to stop all production. Some people are just wacko

HA HA HA HA HA HA 'I have the patent on googly eyes' have you ever heard anything like this in your life??? That's a comedy gold moment that! I couldn't even be angry with someone who said that to me it's that comical!

Windsor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Windsor Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:55pm
post #42 of 58

This is toooo funny. I don't know if it's funnier or just pathetic that that person might be serious lol

MamaDear Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:08pm
post #43 of 58

First let me say that the OPs work is impressive and very lovely.

While I find it hilarious that the OP's mystery bow inventor deserves credit for the multi-looped bow, I've seen so many of those that I don't remember where I saw it first. So I went into my bottom drawer and pulled out my antique black and white "Maid of Scandinavia" books that a friend gave me several years ago. They are kinda like Wilton Yearbooks and belonged to her husband's mom or grandmom and are dated between 1959 and 1969. While I didn't find a MULTI-looped bow, instructions for making the two looped standard gumpaste bow in Volume VI, #4, April 1961, page 12. Yeah, that long ago.

Looking through these again made me laugh because the general public thinks that modern cake masters (aka TV Folks) have invented the "cake carving, sculpted 3-D" works of art. I beg to differ folks - for example go to - IV8 1959 pg 4 for a carved roasted turkey, IV9 1959 pg 13 for a fully scuplted beer mug with handle or the cover of V8 1960 which has a carved butterfly cake. In fact looking through these (and laughing) I found carved tvs, trucks, backhoes, skunks, bassinets, boots, fish, hats, buses, dolls, carousels, fireplaces, churches, humpty dumpty, mickey mouse, boats, pianos, wishing wells, cameras, desks, coke machines, a saddle, castles, a pistol, guitar, race car, space ship, teddy bear, bike, hot air balloon, toilet seat, cowboy, sailboat, lighthouse record player, pool table, jack in the box, and an aircraft carrier cake. Just wanna warn everyone that you gotta wait 95 years or so to take credit for those... The idea that any of us have one of a kind cakes is really remote. Heck even my speakerbox groom's cake (which had real speakers embedded in it and played music via an MP3 hooked up to the back of it) has probably been done before.

OP... hopefully your accuser is also on CC and is thinking to herself now... "well maybe I jumped the gun on that one" right now. Shake off those hurt feelings and LOL with us!!!!

And to all the chickens and cows... I'm sorry---yall were at the Heart of my creations and its about time you got credit.

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:19pm
post #44 of 58

that is a great bow! I would love to know how to make one half that nice. Your cakes are really nice too.

I made one for a shower cake (my 4th one ever) and it was pretty sad.

Is there a tutorial for nice bows? I am obviously doing something very wrong.

Thanks for sharing.

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #45 of 58

Thanks everyone for responding to my dilemma...thanks for making me laugh.

I think what hurt the most is that this person made a judgment about the kind of person I am without even knowing me.

Be blessed,
Lori

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:34pm
post #46 of 58

Try not to let it bother you. If she didn't want people to view her work and possibly use her ideas then she shouldn't post her cake pictures. When I have a request I do a search for cake pictures to get ideas. We should all hope that someone really enjoyed our work and would want to make one just like it. It's not like you said this is my design I created and slapped a copyright image on top of it which is what she should have done if she didn't want people using her designs. I agree she is just being a cake snob.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:22pm
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

Try not to let it bother you. If she didn't want people to view her work and possibly use her ideas then she shouldn't post her cake pictures. When I have a request I do a search for cake pictures to get ideas. We should all hope that someone really enjoyed our work and would want to make one just like it. It's not like you said this is my design I created and slapped a copyright image on top of it which is what she should have done if she didn't want people using her designs. I agree she is just being a cake snob.

I must protest! I'm a cake snob, but I think that the proper name for someone who wants to copyright a bow isn't cake snob, it's eejit.

MandyCakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyCakez Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 11:06pm
post #48 of 58

I once had someone e-mail me and tell me my contest i had going on was very similar to hers (which it was not...two totally different themes)and was asked by her to change my wording?There are only so many ways to word rules of a cake contest!! icon_confused.gif

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 11:31pm
post #49 of 58

icon_lol.gif *LOL*..... ummmmmmm.... ya..... I invented the pencil...... icon_confused.gif Its my signiture thing......

labmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labmom Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #50 of 58

thats a great idea for the fun foam. Wilton sells that bow already made for like 25.00 or something saw it at walmart one day. It was white and I wasn't sure what it was made of but now that I think of it I bet it was the fun foam stuff. That way you can color it with luster dust or what ever you want and it is ready when you are and much lighter and less breakable.

So watch out ... your bow making from foam is going to catch on.. and then it will be your turn to go... wow I invented that... it is a great idea. You should do a tutoial on how you do yours.. for those of us who are not familiar with working with foam.

Smile... your doing a great job.. and did you tell the lady that your bow wasn''t fondant?

Things like this is why I don't do facebook.

MamaDear Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 4:55am
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by labmom

thats a great idea for the fun foam. Wilton sells that bow already made for like 25.00 or something saw it at walmart one day. It was white and I wasn't sure what it was made of but now that I think of it I bet it was the fun foam stuff. That way you can color it with luster dust or what ever you want and it is ready when you are and much lighter and less breakable.

So watch out ... your bow making from foam is going to catch on.. and then it will be your turn to go... wow I invented that... it is a great idea. You should do a tutoial on how you do yours.. for those of us who are not familiar with working with foam.

Smile... your doing a great job.. and did you tell the lady that your bow wasn''t fondant?

Things like this is why I don't do facebook.

Hey Labmom, I think you got me and the OP confused. Her bow was fondant and I was telling her that the lady who was fussing about her stealing the idea couldn't take credit for my bow cause it was fun foam. And yes, I did know Wilton made a white bow topper (and it was made of foam) because the first time I saw it I thought "Wow, who in the world would pay $20+ for something that I could make for $2, in color at that!"

I have made several of those bows for cake toppers and even some for a friend who does cakes. I can put one together in about 20 minutes or so and hobby lobby has a pretty good selection of colors, some with print (made a zebra print one last week in fact). I will see if I can get myself together enough to make a tutorial but it is really easy cause you do it just like fondant without all the waiting and talent (ha ha). Its real light so it doesnt weight down the cake or anything and it is recyclable. You can even buy some of those fun foam letters and make long streamers and put the name of the birthday person on it. Again kudos to the fondant real bow makers cause I just don't have the patience... or the copyright! LOL

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 7:34am
post #52 of 58
Quote:

Wow... if she is going to take credit for inventing all the bows out there she better look at mine a little closer...it's not even made of fondant... its made of fun foam.

Girlfriend, forget that hater tot and keep on frosting....

Awesome advice! thumbs_up.gif

OP, I am so sorry this insecure caker took it out on you. Hold your head high and keep on making those gorgeous bows.

peetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peetz Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 10:49pm
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

http://tartacadabra.com./nl_main.html
LOL- you mean this bow?! The one for which there is a tutorial?! icon_biggrin.gif
Send her the link to the tutorial and tell her to get a life.

Now that is a cute bow!! Gonna have to make one of those. Or should I contact my lawyer first? lol sorry could not resist.

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 12 Jun 2011 , 11:15pm
post #54 of 58

This is nuts! You should just ignore her. Unfortunately, there are always going to be those kinds of people in this world. We all come across them. Now you have all the power. Choose to let it go. You are a great cake decorator!!!!

RSABelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RSABelle Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 7:05am
post #55 of 58

Its the basic rule of the internet, if you want "YOUR" creation to remain yours, never load it onto the web! We all use other peoples ideas and tweak them to make them our own. Even if you plan to copy it 100%, it will never be.

Ask her for proof of her copyright - when she cant provide it, tell her to go suck eggs!

I love this site... you ladies are an inspiration!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 11:35am
post #56 of 58

You ought to send her a link to this thread.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:26pm
post #57 of 58
Quote:

Ha! Ha! Ha! gave me a good laugh!

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 12:42pm
post #58 of 58

It comes down to integrity. If I didn't make that cake with my own two hands, it's not mine. If I created that cake with the 10 fingers and two hands God gave me, then it;s MY CAKE! If it was inspired by something I saw or heard about, or SEEMS to look like someone else's creation, tough toodles! In caking there's no intellectual (creative) property unless its copyrighted, which last I heard, aint no such animal! Integrity means giving credit if you know to whom to credit. If not, its general inspiration. Keep on caking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%