Disappointed And Hurt

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 13 Jun 2011 , 12:42pm by chanielisalevy

Lorabell Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 58

Hey all,

I posted a picture on FB of a cake I did and 2 days later received an e-mail from someone accusing me of stealing "her" signature bow and not giving her credit for inspiring me. She also commented on how "similar" the cake I did, looked like hers.

I wrote her back and explained that the cake...colors and design was expressed by the customer. I also told her I got alot of ideas here on CC and have seen that bow a billion times including her site.

I did not however "steel" an idea from anyone. Don't we all look at pictures and get ideas?

I am really hurt because this person has made an assumption about me without even knowing me...

She is very talented and I have told her that many times...I am out to hurt no one! I thought we were all in this together...I thought we were all here to help each other..

Just really don't know what to think....very upsetting.

Be blessed,
Lori

57 replies
crisseyann Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 58

I agree with you 100%! Unbelievable icon_sad.gif

cat2512 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 58

I agree with you too! She is being rude....I don't care how talented she is. Keep up the good work! Your cakes are really nice!

Bettyviolet101 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 58

Can you say cake snob??? That is the silliest thing I have ever heard! A signiture bow? lol that actually made me laugh a little.

JenJane Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 58

I know it's hard but don't let it get to you. Keep doing what you are doing and keep away from the negativity. icon_smile.gif

CakewardHo Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 58

I get pictures all the time from brides that they want their cake to "look like this" (only cheaper icon_surprised.gif ), I also have brides who want me to replicate the fabric/design of their wedding dresses, does this mean we will start hearing from wedding dress designers too?

My day job is graphic design and at this point there really are no more original ideas around anymore (not to sound so negative), we just take what we see and tweak it a bit. In fact I'm stealing all your cake designs as we speak.

I'm sure if you did some in depth "Googling" that you would find that bow had been done before THEY did it. Take it easy on yourself, did you take business from them? No. Did you see something somewhere and the light bulb went off over your head and said "that would be perfect for..." and did your own spin on it. Probably. We have communities and forums like this for a reason, to share, show off our work, and vent. If you want to keep your ideas original, password protect that part of your web site so that only "special" people can see them.

chrisviz Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 58

Kinda like the DC Cupcakes "Signature Swirl"?? lol hahahaha.. I cant let that one go. Sorry that this happened to you.

Texas_Rose Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 58

Some people are weird like that.

I heard about a woman before who insisted she had copyrighted certain cookie designs. It got to the point where she made her Flickr page private so no one could use her ideas.

CakewardHo Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Some people are weird like that.

I heard about a woman before who insisted she had copyrighted certain cookie designs. It got to the point where she made her Flickr page private so no one could use her ideas.




So why even post them in the first place? Sheesh--some people.

Lorabell Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 58

Hey all,

Thanks for the kind words. Just is really disheartening.

Bettyviolet101 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 58

Oh also if she rebuttles just send her pictures of all the other bows that she would consider her "signature bow" and then tell her she should e-mail every one of them and tell them the same thing.

hammer1 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 58

wow that signature bow looks just like the Wilton bow.......too bad . If you don't want people to use your ideas don't post the picture. I appreciate all the ideas I have gotten from this site and consider it a competment when someone uses an idea I had.

JessicakesBakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 58

Wow! What, exactly, was her point anyway? Just to be snooty? <sigh>
You know, I am relatively new to cake decorating and I am totally obsessed. I am on CC every day, throughout the day, learning from all of you and admiring all of your amazing work. I 100% "steal" from you. I see things and think "I wish I could do that" and because of some of you I get the confidence to try and to practice and then I share my failures and successes with you here and my friends and family on fb. I was SO excited other day when someone sent me a pm asking a question about my cupcakes! Totally flattered! It's a bow..... I learned how to make the big multi-loop ones in my Wilton class and the pretty 2-loop ones from Edna on You Tube!
I think it's a little sad and sounds like she lost the Joy I am getting out of making something that makes so many people smile (except when a new recipe turns out gross and then we smile as we toss it out!)
icon_lol.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:22pm
post #14 of 58

Anyone can make a bow...anyone can swirl a cupcake...anyone can replicate a cake..That being said...she is being a total B$.....I take inspiration all the time on here and the web..I don't claim to be the one who invented it..Some people...

nicunurse Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:47pm
post #15 of 58

Obviously we all started somewhere, we didn't leap from the womb making bows so in my opinion, everyone "borrows" ideas from those we admire. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! icon_smile.gif

ramie7224 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 9:54pm
post #16 of 58

It's a BOW. Most bows looks pretty similar. You either have two loop bows or multi-loop bows...how you could copy a "signature" bow is beyond me. I tie my shoes in a bow and I buy big loopy bows to go on gifts...maybe she stole the idea from some bow company. I mean give me a break. It's not like you copied some bizarre, abstract creation that defies space and gravity and only SHE has rights to the magic secret. I wouldn't let it bother you at all.....there are approximately 7 bajillion bows that look just like that all over this site.

MamaDear Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:14pm
post #17 of 58

Wow... if she is going to take credit for inventing all the bows out there she better look at mine a little closer...it's not even made of fondant... its made of fun foam.

OP, by the way, I am saddened that you didn't credit the chicken who laid the eggs for your cake, or the cow for the butter & milk icon_twisted.gif

Girlfriend, forget that hater tot and keep on frosting....

BrindysBackyard Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #18 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDear


OP, by the way, I am saddened that you didn't credit the chicken who laid the eggs for your cake, or the cow for the butter & milk icon_twisted.gif




that is too funny!!!

i had a friend that makes monster shirts for kids. She got a letter from a lady saying that she has a copy copyright on big white eyes with black centers (aka googly eyes) and for her to stop all production. Some people are just wacko

mena2002 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 58

It's a bow! I mean how many different ways are there to make a bow that you can actually claim one to be yours.

This has to be one fantastic bow that doesn't really look like a bow because all the bows I've seen have been pretty much the same.

Don't take it to heart she's probably just upset that your bows look better than hers. icon_wink.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:29pm
post #20 of 58

I'd tell her, when she shows you the copyright for "her" bow, you'll give her credit.

JenTwirl Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:41pm
post #21 of 58

We all get inspiration from somewhere. Don't let it bother you, she's crazy. That's why I think FB is the devil! You should be proud of any work you produce. Don't let it get you down!

mena2002 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 10:44pm
post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCakes1966

I'd tell her, when she shows you the copyright for "her" bow, you'll give her credit.




well said icon_lol.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:14pm
post #23 of 58

Well, I had better start keeping track of all the polka dot cakes, so next time I use polka dots I can give proper credit, as with the bows, it will be a looooooong list!

Kaybaby Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:38pm
post #24 of 58

Very silly. I only bake for family and my cakes aren't very professional looking, I suppose I should worry about all of the unprofessional cake makers coming after me.

Vonda

costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:37am
post #25 of 58

I've done polka dotted cakes before, so I'm going to write to everyone who has used my signature polka dots and tell them to cut it out.

I will say, though, that there's a woman in town here who first stole text from my website, then started copying designs from my cakes. She puts them up on her site but they look like crappy versions of my cakes. That does make me mad, especially because I know that she's "aware" of my website.

scp1127 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:47am
post #26 of 58

I do have a copyright on my website.

costumeczar Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:18pm
post #27 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

I do have a copyright on my website.




People don't realize that if it's published its copyrighted automatically. You have to register it if you intend to take it to court, but that's difficult to do if you have a website that's updated regularly.

I've had people's websites taken down entirely by their ISPs, as well as blocked by google from their search results, for taking huge chunks of text from my site.

BUT...you can't copyright a cake design. You'd have a hard time proving that you were the first one to make fair use of a bow if someone challenged it in court.

psmith Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:39pm
post #28 of 58

Your cakes are very nice! I can't believe someone would get so bent out of shape about a bow. I've seen bows like that before too. Just delete her comments and forget about it. People like that are immature and just looking for attention.

Coral3 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:42pm
post #29 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mena2002

This has to be one fantastic bow that doesn't really look like a bow because all the bows I've seen have been pretty much the same.




Yup, that must be one revolutionary bow! icon_surprised.gif I want to see this bow that's so special only she can use it!! Is your bow cake in your pics on here OP? ...I'm off to have a look icon_wink.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:46pm
post #30 of 58

I've been meaning to email you, all of you that is. I've notice how a lot of you are filling your cakes and stacking them in tiers of various shapes and sizes.

I INVENTED THAT! STOP IT RIGHT NOW! YOU"L HEAR FROM MY LAWYERS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%