Question On Thawing Frozen Cake And Decorating

Decorating By jennifer22780 Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 10:20pm by soledad

jennifer22780 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 9

ok, so i took my frozen cakes out this morning, about 1 1/2 hrs ago, and they have been on the counter thawing in the plastic wrap. they are still somewhat solid . My question is, when can i begin to fill & crumb coat them? I should have takent hem out earlier. I am panicking about time since this needs to be done for tomorrow, but i dont want to jump the gun and start too soon if it is going to affect the cake.

8 replies
macie2011 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 9

It should be fine to go ahead and fill and crumb coat them. I have done it soon before and it worked out fine.

sparkle25 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 9

I fill and crumb coat while my cakes are still frozen and have never had a problem.

jennifer22780 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:14am
post #4 of 9

thanks!!

carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:47am
post #5 of 9

I too always fill and crumbcoat a frozen cake. One thing I NEVER do is let it come to room temp while it's wrapped in plastic. It gets really sticky and depending on if you froze it while warm it can get a bit soggy.

2txmedics Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 9

So when do you take the wrapping off the cake?

Take out of the refrig...sit on the counter, and when do we un wrap it???

carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Unwrap after you take it out of the refrigerator and set it on the counter. You can go ahead and fill, and crumbcoat frozen, it won't affect the cake like letting it sit in a plastic wrapper while it thaws.

carmijok Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Unwrap after you take it out of the freezer and set it on the counter. You can go ahead and fill, and crumbcoat frozen, it won't affect the cake like letting it sit in a plastic wrapper while it thaws.

soledad Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 10:20pm
post #9 of 9

I have never frozen a cake. I sure would like to learn, so that I can do it with a larger size cake. When I did the large 12x18 sheet cake, I had a very hard time putting the second layer on top. I had to cut it in half.
icon_smile.gif

This is my routine:
1.I take cake out of oven ,
2. Push it down to level (this also makes it a little denser)
3. Brush simple syrup on cake while still warm
4. Cover with film plastic while still warm.I use three layers of film to cover each layer of cake.
5. leave on counter top to settle. I always start decorating the next day.

To put in the freezer do I have to wait for it to be completely cooled or do I freeze it warm?

Thank you for your answer!
icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%