How To Make Fondant Stripes / Strips

Decorating By leefeedesigns Updated 10 Apr 2013 , 1:53am by SetFree

leefeedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leefeedesigns Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 25

hi i am a beginner and I need to make a fondant covered six" x 3" cake on top of that fondant i want to attach vertical fondant stripes all my attempts to cut straight strips of fondant by hand have failed i was wondering if the wilton fondant roler cutter works well or if there are any other methods i can try or use or any other products i could use that would make this easier and the stripes more uniform right now they are looking more like waves..... icon_redface.gif thanks in advance

24 replies
TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 25

I couldn't cut a straight line if my life depended on it. icon_lol.gif I have the Wilton Fondant Roller/Cutter because it came in one of the class kits and it has worked well for me. You can space the rollers as you wish and even cut wavy lines. It only cuts two or three strips at a time which can be time consuming, but I just cut long strips and then cut them again to the length I need. Good luck!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 25

I bought the Wilton ribbon cutter and after two uses it broke, so to me it is not worth it. I made a pretty cake for my son's girlfriend, and this is what I did:
When I was picking the stripes they lost their " straightness" so I decided to roll the fondant with a little tylose and let it sit a while to dry like 15 min. after that time I pick it up and place it. the stripes still stretched but not as much. Next time I will let it dry a bit longer. HTH
CIAO

newcakester Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakester Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 25

A plastic ruler, xacto knife and tylose will be your best friends when trying to make vertical stripes. Add the tylose to your fondant, let it sit for 15-20 mins, score it using the ruler to measure and cut with a sharp xacto knife. One thing you can do at the end of the stipe to keep it from "dragging" and "stretching" when you are cutting it is to rock down on the exacto knife at the end of each cut. HTH.

sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:38pm
post #5 of 25

I had the same problem and went and bought the wilton roller. I've used it 100's of times now and it has never failed me. For $15 you can't go wrong if you aske me! Good Luck!

jewordsoflife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewordsoflife Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetviolet

I had the same problem and went and bought the wilton roller. I've used it 100's of times now and it has never failed me. For $15 you can't go wrong if you aske me! Good Luck!

thumbs_up.gif I have one and it works great!

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:08pm
post #7 of 25

I have it too! I haven't used it yet but it's GOT to be easier and faster than trying to cut straight lines by hand!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #8 of 25

I have the Wilton roller, but I find it stays in the drawer while I use a stainless steel ruler and exacto knife. In the time it takes me to put the roller together, I've measured and cut. I do let the cut pieces rest a few minutes, and I also find that its better to roll up the cut strips and then roll them out onto the cake. It's easier to control the 'wavyness' that sometimes happens if you pick up a longer strip and try to apply it to the cake. That how I did the bars of my "birdcage":

http://lamaisondesgateaux.blogspot.com/2011/05/bonne-fete-des-meres.html

fattycakescupcakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fattycakescupcakery Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 12:29am
post #9 of 25

I have always found the simple things work the best for me. For example I used the bumpy side of a lego to make golfball impressions onto white fondant I had layed over sugar cookies for a golf event I once did. Maybe if you took a ruler and layed it on top of the rolled out fondant and used an exacto blade (love those things for cutting fondant) they cut very clean lines. Good luck with your stripes! Happy baking... icon_smile.gif
<a href="http://aa088rt5vrrbufdv5ypmvz1pbr.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>

DolceDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DolceDreams Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:14am
post #10 of 25

I have never tried the Wilton fondant cutter. I have always just rolled my fondant in a long strip about 6" wide and used a ruler to make a straight edge along the top and bottom. Doesn't really matter if those lines are straight, because the bottom can be fixed and the top will have another cake stacked on top. I always make 1" strips which is easy because that is the width of my ruler. I just lay the ruler, cut along side of it and repeat. No measuring involved! icon_lol.gif

HappyCake10609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HappyCake10609 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:53am
post #11 of 25

I have this bookmarked for making your own ribbon cutter... it's on my "to do list" LoL!! I think someone on CC originally posted it a while ago:

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/83-diy-multi-blade-ribbon-strip-cutter.html

icon_smile.gif

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:24am
post #12 of 25

I too have the Wilton strip roller but prefer a steel ruler and a pizza cutter instead. One thing that helps keep the strips from stretching is to cut them out on waxed paper then place the strips (still attached to the waxed paper) in the refrigerator to make them stiffer.

Katiedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiedoll Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:16am
post #13 of 25

I am so glad you asked this question! I am new to cake decorating and forums so have never posted before. I had the same problem yesterday on one of my 'practice' cakes. There are some really helpful tips here so thank you. I have another question. How can I stop my sugarpaste from cracking and splitting when I put it on the cake?? I would be really grateful for any advice.

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:36am
post #14 of 25

i use the fondant roller and it works great! time consuming, but does a good job.

Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 5:00am
post #15 of 25

HappyCake10609 this idea is very good ingenuity is the mother of invention, very nice of her to post her idea and nice of you also to share it thanks thumbs_up.gif

leefeedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leefeedesigns Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 1:01pm
post #16 of 25

Hey thanks for the ideas everyone! I used a fuller and exacto because that's what I had on hand but I think I might purchase that roller I looked at it and I think I would use the ribbon cutter thing too!

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:37pm
post #17 of 25

I'm also wondering if an Herb Roller Cutter might work to like this one:
http://compare.ebay.com/like/250831697191?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

I used to have one for cutting herbs but didn't use it much and got rid of it. Now I wish I had it to at least try it on fondant. I'll keep an eye out for another one as they are not expensive. If some has one let us know how it works with fondant please!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:06pm
post #18 of 25

I use a ruler and a pizza cutter. Easy peasy.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:25pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCake10609

I have this bookmarked for making your own ribbon cutter... it's on my "to do list" LoL!! I think someone on CC originally posted it a while ago:

http://cakes.keyartstudio.com/tutorials/item/83-diy-multi-blade-ribbon-strip-cutter.html

icon_smile.gif

I'm TOTALLY making that!! That rocks!! I hate the plastic wilton one because it doesn't cut clean...the plastic blades are not sharp enough...this is great!! Thanks SO much for sharing!

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:26pm
post #20 of 25

I went to the restaurant supply store and bought a pastry cutter (?). Not sure if that is what it is called. Anyway it has multiple blades that are adjustable to any width very quickly by loosening one little wing nut. (It works like an accordian). It is fast and easy to use. It only cost me $25. Haven't used my Wilton ribbon cutter since I got this.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 15 Jun 2011 , 12:20pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I use a ruler and a pizza cutter. Easy peasy.

I concurr!!! I roll out the fondant larger than I need, cut a straight edge, use a toothpick and ruler to make prick marks the width I need and then use the ruler and pizza cutter to zip zip zip through them all. If the edge gets wonky, scoot the ruler up to the edge and re-straigthen.

coloradoflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coloradoflower Posted 20 Jun 2011 , 4:18am
post #22 of 25

If you are planning on cutting alot of strips/stripes of fondant or gum-paste for different cakes then an option is to make cutting the strips faster is. 5 wheel dough cutter. You can adjust the width of the stripes I use it alot in the bakery when making croissants. It's a time saver i got mine on Amazon and paid$25 it
s not bad it's like having 5 pizza cutters all attached to each other. It's my favorite tool.

SetFree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SetFree Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:55pm
post #23 of 25

I have a question about adding tylose to make the strips easier to handle.  Would that not make them very nice to eat since they will be dry?  I would have thought cutting them on a small board and putting them in the freezer for a few minutes before putting them on the cake.  I have not tried this technique yet, but will this week, so advice is very welcome. 

I was thinking of buying this if this task is to slow.  I think it was mentioned in earlier posts; http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Ateco-7-Wheel-Stainless-Steel-Dough-Cutter-/200490343125?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eae27dad5

I have tried using the wilton tool but i do not like it since it does not give me a clean cut. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 12:57pm
post #24 of 25

I don't use tylose.  I have the ghetto Wilton roller and yes it sucks, but it actually cuts clean if you let your fondant dry for a half hour before you cut it.  You have to roll it thin and let it dry out, then it will cut better.

SetFree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SetFree Posted 10 Apr 2013 , 1:53am
post #25 of 25

I had a chance to try putting the strips in the freezer for a few minutes.  I rolled my strips on the mat then used the wilton cutter (by pressing hard to get a clean cut) and then placed them on the cake with no distorting.  You need to work fast though because the strips warm up quickly. 

Here is a great web site that has the 5 wheel accordion cutter.  http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/5-wheel-accordion-cutter#1986#

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%