First Topsy Turvy ...baking Question

Baking By alicia_froedge Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 4:36am by ConfectionsCC

alicia_froedge Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a 3 tiered topsy turvy cake for tomorrow. It will be a 12, 10, 8 inch. How many layers of each size do i need to bake???? I've read all the instructions but its still a little confusing to me.

Thank you!!

7 replies
VaBelle Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 8

I haven't made one yet, but from what I understand, it's three layers for each tier at least.

alicia_froedge Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:05pm
post #3 of 8

Okay. That was my understanding too. Like for the 12" i would bake 3 of them and torte one the layers at an angle. But than I read the article on here about how to do it and it sort of confused me.

mrsbriggs06 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 8

2 layers. (if the link doesnt show, google "flikr topsy turvy tutorial' It's by deliciously decadent)

ddaigle Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 8

It can be done with 3 layers or 2. I've done it both ways. If you make 3 layers of each size, each tier will be taller...which is the look I like. If you need more servings, I would do 3. If you don't, you can just use 2 layers per tier. There are many you-tubes showing many different techniques. I went to a class and actually do not do my TT the way she taught it. I would watch as many videos as you can find then choose the way you feel comfortable doing. Have fun!

alicia_froedge Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all so much!! This is what my niece requested for her graduation cake!! Wanna make her proud! icon_smile.gif

sgalvan62 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:17am
post #7 of 8

i will be doing my first topsy turvy in august icon_biggrin.gif already getting excited, just wondering how do you serve (cut) this kind of cake?

ConfectionsCC Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 4:36am
post #8 of 8

I have made topsy turvys a ton of times! It can be done with 2 layers, BUT it just does not give you that dramatic topsy turvy look (in my opinion) the extra layer of cake will give you the height, and extra opportunity to create that drama that topsy turvys are known for!! I always do mine with 3 layers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%