Do Cake Baking Times Differ When Recipe Is Doubled?

Baking By TBEANZ Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 6:08am by TBEANZ

TBEANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBEANZ Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 5:15am
post #1 of 3

Hey guy's,

I was wondering if some one could help me?

I am doubling a choc mud cake recipe, well not doubling it, im qautering it. The original baking time was 1hr 15mins, would i need to check the cakes earlier if i have a 9inch and 6inch in the oven instead of just the 9inch?

Cheers, and i appreciate your help in advance icon_smile.gif

2 replies
Candice56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candice56 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 5:51am
post #2 of 3

Are you planning to add more batter to the same pan or make more cakes? if it's add more batter to the pan it will add to the the cook time, I will usually check at the regular done time and then from there go like 5 to 10 minutes checking it often and covering the top lightly w/foil so the top does not get to dark before your cake inside is done. I would also use the insulated cookie sheets under the cake the kind that does not burn the bottoms of your cookies to make sure the bottom of your cake does not get over done also. Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

TBEANZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBEANZ Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:08am
post #3 of 3

Hi there,

Thanks for answering my question. I quartered my recipe so that i could get a 6inch and 9inch into the oven at the same time instead of my usual 9inch in which the recipe was made for.

I just pulled them out of the oven 5mins under the time it would normally take so fingers crossed. Would it be best to take to 6inch out earlier because its smaller?

Also thanks for the tips on covering the cake etc, i am for ever learning and am a wee bit of a sponge at tho mo.....taking it all in......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%