Legal Bakeries?

Decorating By CakeCrystal5308 Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 1:58pm by LindaF144a

CakeCrystal5308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystal5308 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 7

Hello All

I was just curious... does anyone know how you can "spot" an "illegal" or home bakery when you are on their website??

I have come across many cake/cupcake sites that don't have an address? is that a give away?

I am just curious because I read one lady's forum talking about how over half of the websites are "illegal" ... how would she know this?

FYI: talking about California (since they don't have a cottage food law... yet)

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 7

You don't really know, because people could be working from home but renting a commercial kitchen. Chances are they're not, but I do know of someone in California who's in the process of doing that. So the lackof an address isn't a giveaway.

I work from home in Virginia, and I don't put my address on my site because I don't want people just dropping by my house. I know that it does come up on google maps, but I don't advertise my location because I'm not a storefront.

If you want to turn in the illegal bakeries, call the health department and let them investigate it. If this lady that you're talking about is so knowledgeable about who's legal and who isn't she should either turn them in or just shut up about it. I doubt that she knows for sure who's legal and who isn't though.[/b]

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:35pm
post #3 of 7

I'm perfectly legal and I don't put my address on my website. Well, it's buried in there, but not right up front.

CakeCrystal5308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystal5308 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 7

LoL. I dont want to turn anyone in. To me, it's none of my business... but I'm always reading through cake and cooking forums and this lady was ranting on really bad about all the "illegal" website bakeries.
Made me feel bad for doing the very few cakes I do do for friends and family.

I know some people on their sites put that they only do deliveries because the work out of a commercial kitchen, some have storefronts and some just say "delivery only".

Just found it all to be kind of scary, that if this lady was so upset, then perhaps there are more out there who are equally upset.

Just kind of intriguing to me... dont know why

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:09am
post #5 of 7

I know a caterer who earns a lot of money by turning in illegal catering businesses. He gets a percentage of the back taxes and fines that they owe the state. It sounds like the lady you're talking about is just being indignant about it to keep herself worked up. It's a hobby.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:38am
post #6 of 7

Th HD in my county has two legal home based bakeries. Just call the HD if you are concerned. I am putting my license on my site next week (renewal due). I state on my home page and the "About Us" page that this is a fully licensed and insured commercial kitchen. Pictures of my kitchen also prove the professionalism. In my area, illegal bakers with web sites are breeding like rabbits. It is frustrating because the commercial requirements are the same as FDA requirements... not cheap. The HD gets two down and three appear. If you really want them gone, the local IRS field office is the way to go. So far, my HD is attempting to get control. Over the line in MD, there is zero tolerance for illegal bakers.

Every area is different, but if a license is required, there will be a registration list. Where there is cottage industry with no registration, everyone is ok.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah, you can't tell in my area. You can legally have a commercial kitchen in your home. If these people do not want or can't have a steady stream of people going to their home, they may not indicate an address. At least I think that is the reason why.

I saw someone rant here about all the "local bakeries" she found when doing a search on FB. It turns out that they not be so local. I have found several FB cake places that say local to me, but they are clearly in other states. I think it is the way the FB page gets set up. So maybe the other person what just mistaken on location.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%