Curious Is This Common??

Decorating By louanne Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 2:20pm by LindaF144a

louanne Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 23

just curious if this is common i have a bride that i am doing a wedding a grooms cake for saturday, bride and mob have been so sweet and nice, they have called with several q's the last couple of days ( cutting instructions, table set up, etc) all common stuff that i usually go over on delivery, then they call and ask if they can come by and see the cake, i told them that today we are just starting on it, so they ask if they can come by tomorrow afternoon and see it. While i understand being anxious and stressed the cake will not be delivered unitl 3:30 saturday so i normally would not have it finsihed until probablly 12-1 on saturday becasue i will finish the grooms cake first ( dont know why i just prefer to do the grooms cake first and then the wedd cake) so do any of you have brides wanting to come in the day before to inspect.

btw, i told them they are welcome to check in on friday but not to expect the cake to be anywhere near finsihed because i would be late into the evening in the shop working on it and finsih it saturday morning.

22 replies
Dayti Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:52pm
post #2 of 23

Uggggh, I would try and avoid this situation. Kind of gives them the chance to try and get you to change stuff up if they don't like what they see - though they won't be seeing much, as you rightly pointed out to them! Also, there is the PITA factor when you are trying to work on the cake and have them there asking questions etc.
In answer to your question though, I don't think it's common (thankfully!).

amygortoncakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 23

Just lie (who knows it could be true) amd say that because of liability issues no one can be in your baking/decorating area...employees only. I think it is a big mistake to allow them in to see unfinished work. It would be shocking to see a crumb coated cake and them not being able to envision how on earth you will be able to complete it in time.

hollyml Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 23

They are probably trying to avoid having some terrible wreck show up unexpectedly at the wedding, and I'm a little sympathetic, but I think it's a really bad idea to let them see the unfinished cake. They will almost certainly not understand how you go from whatever stage it's in to the finished product, they will distract you with questions and "oh wow that doesn't look quite like I expected" and everyone will get stressed out!

Maybe you could offer to email them a photo of each cake as soon as it's done. Of course, if the wedding cake is finished two hours before the reception, the bride and her mom will be very busy with other things at the time. icon_smile.gif

Holly

KSMill Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:29pm
post #5 of 23

There are issues/concerns at least Health Department wise with letting "non-employees" in the kitchen area.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by amygortoncakes

Just lie (who knows it could be true) amd say that because of liability issues no one can be in your baking/decorating area...employees only.

This is actually a common policy. At our rental kitchen no one is allowed to be in the baking area except for tenants and their employees for liability reasons.

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 23

I occasionally have a bride ask to see the cake. I always say, "well, it should be done about 2 am the morning of your wedding, but maybe 3 or even 4 am. You sure you'll be able to swing by?"

They look shocked and say nooooo.

But then I'd pull the Health Department excuse anyway.

mplaidgirl2 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:46pm
post #8 of 23

I send 1 or 2 update pics if they request. But from my cell so they just get an idea

pettmybunny Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 11:55pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I occasionally have a bride ask to see the cake. I always say, "well, it should be done about 2 am the morning of your wedding, but maybe 3 or even 4 am. You sure you'll be able to swing by?"

I laughed out loud for real at this one! I love it!

cakegirl1973 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:30am
post #10 of 23

I've only had one person make this kind of request. I am a cottage baker, so I really couldn't use the Health Dept excuse, since she had already been in my kitchen, when we had the tasting at my kitchen table. Anyhoo, I told her something along the lines of what leah_s tells her customers--that the cake would not be completed until the wee hours of dawn.

I haven't been asked, but I would not agree to sending pics, either. I would be concerned that this would open the door to the client wanting a last minute design change, etc.

jsc2010 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 12:47am
post #11 of 23

I wouldn't let them come into my kitchen while I'm working to see the cake but I would send pics. I'm not worried about last minute changes as I have a contract that each bride signs saying all final design elements are made one month prior and if they did want changes there is an additional fee.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:48am
post #12 of 23

Sorry, no pictures, no visits.

When I'm busy working on a cake, I don't have time to chat, explain, humor, or cajol--and I sure as he[[ won't be making any changes at that point.

I think it just gives someone the impression that, at that late point, they may still have some opportunity for input or change--and they DON'T.

Did they go to the dress factory after the pattern was cut & watch the stitchers? Did they drop by the caterers and taste the entrees? Did they go to the florist and watch the centerpieces being assembled? NO

Rae

Evoir Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:01am
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Sorry, no pictures, no visits.

When I'm busy working on a cake, I don't have time to chat, explain, humor, or cajol--and I sure as he[[ won't be making any changes at that point.

I think it just gives someone the impression that, at that late point, they may still have some opportunity for input or change--and they DON'T.

Did they go to the dress factory after the pattern was cut & watch the stitchers? Did they drop by the caterers and taste the entrees? Did they go to the florist and watch the centerpieces being assembled? NO

Rae

thumbs_up.gif Agree 100%

ashleyisawesome Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:07am
post #14 of 23

Once I was an employee of a bakery, and after taking her order, a customer wrote down her number and asked me to text her a picture of the cake once I was done decorating it lol Some people are crazy...

platinumlady Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:22am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

They look shocked and say nooooo.

But then I'd pull the Health Department excuse anyway.

Too funnii... I love it!

KalisCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:48am
post #16 of 23

In Texas you have you have your food handler's too. Then there's the business liability issue for non-employees being in the back of the house.... non slip shoes, hair nets, gloves....

I've actually had quite a few brides (and clients in general) ask me to txt pics of the cake.... which I don't do either. I explain, just like Blake said, I really don't have time. I'm focused on cake. icon_smile.gif

cake_architect Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:58am
post #17 of 23

just tel her no! in a nice way, of course icon_biggrin.gif but honestly, nothing good could come of this :/

scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:16am
post #18 of 23

I offer to send pictures via text as I go. They love it. My kitchen is approved for visitors, but no one has asked yet. But those phone pics are a big hit. I take a picture as each tier is done and send it. I think people are anxious about their cakes. They show all of their friends and this service will be remembered.

For people who have been in business awhile with great reputations, I think this is unnecessary.

KalisCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:01am
post #19 of 23

I've done the pictures when it's someone I know personally, and I've done process/states pictures with unusual cakes (ie: taco cake, rainbow cake)... I guess my nervousness is in junxing myself that I've sent a pic off the finished product and then something happen. And well.... let's not talk about something happening during delivery, even if it was just once. Okay, twice, only once where anyone found out!

scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:14am
post #20 of 23

Kalis, are you still awake?

KalisCakes Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:23am
post #21 of 23

lol, I'm always awake!

scp1127 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 7:31am
post #22 of 23

Me too. I just sent you a pm.

LindaF144a Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 2:20pm
post #23 of 23

I have never gotten this request where I used to work.

I do know that people would come into the shop and walk in the back like they owned the place. It used to irritate me to no end. Then there were the "customers" who were actually stalking other bakeries before they opened there own place. You could spot them a mile away.

I have a slightly open concept in my shop. There is a 5' wall separating the front from the work room. I also have a half door at the end of the counter that will be locked from the other side and have a sign posted "employees only" on it. But I bet you that will not stop some people.

I will definitely be quoting health code to those people.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%