How Much Should I Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By Burgundycakes Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm by jason_kraft

Burgundycakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 16

Hello, y'all. Please i need your help. How much do you think i should charge for this cake. It will be in sizes 6", 8", 10" and 12". Thanks

15 replies
malene541 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 16

That is a question that will open a large can of worms here. But......for starters, is there a pic to look at? What's the going rate for your area? What's your overhead? How much time will it take? Can you legally "sell" this cake? (another can of worms) There are a ton of things that go into pricing a cake.
Some people charge $2.00 a serving and some charge $7.00 a serving and up.

Burgundycakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 16

I can't upload the picture. I need help!!!

sweetviolet Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 16

About your photo: Upload the photo to photobucket.com (you may have to create and account etc. but it 's free) and then copy the IMG link into your post. Hope this helps. To avoid the impending can of worms being opened I haven't got an opinion on the price.....sorry

Burgundycakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 16

cai0311 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 16

120 servings x $3.50 (my price for fondant covered cake) = $420 + $100 for all the decorations = $520

+ delivery

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 16

6/8/10/12 = 134 servings.
Fondant @ $4 per serving = $536
Equipment fee = $40
Delivery = $50
Total, $626.

HOWEVER, depending on where you live, you must be legal/inspected/licensed and should be insured in order to charge anything more than $0 for a cake.

SECOND HOWEVER, you can not sell copyrighted characters. I don't know if the yellow submarine and the Beatles are copyrighted, but you must verify that.

kristiemarie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:48pm
post #9 of 16

I am hoping to start selling soon. If I was using my pricing matrix, and assuming it took you 10 hours to decorate (maybe it took longer or shorter, I have no idea!) I'd charge $350 plus delivery. If it took 15 hours, I'd charge $410.

My minimum is going to be $2.50/serving. That's standard for my area. I guess the question is what is standard in yours?

Burgundycakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 16

@ sweetviolet, thanks. I used the photobucket for the upload.
@ everyone else, I actually charge $2.50 per serving for my fondant cake but i didn't know what to charge for the decorations since there are a lot of them. I make my cakes at a commercial bakery that has been inspected.

CalhounsCakery Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:01pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malene541

That is a question that will open a large can of worms here. But......for starters, is there a pic to look at? What's the going rate for your area? What's your overhead? How much time will it take? Can you legally "sell" this cake? (another can of worms) There are a ton of things that go into pricing a cake.
Some people charge $2.00 a serving and some charge $7.00 a serving and up.

Legality has NOTHING to do with the cost of a cake. Completly separate matter. And not the OP question.

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 16

Legality has a lot to do with your cost of doing business. I have to include the cost of licensure and insurance in my cost of goods sold, so YES, being legal does factor into the cost of a cake.

kristiemarie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:22pm
post #13 of 16

I think that the poster wanted to make sure the OP understood that if she's not legal, she can't sell. Some people don't realize that it's illegal.

amygortoncakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 16

No pricing advice, but wanted to let you know that I absolutely love this cake.

jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:26pm
post #15 of 16

The copyright owners for the Beatles tend to be pretty restrictive when it comes to their music, not sure about the imagery used in the films. But I would definitely contact Apple Corps Ltd first to obtain permission to use their copyrighted material, since they made the Yellow Submarine film.

http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=5825089

jason_kraft Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgundycakes

@ everyone else, I actually charge $2.50 per serving for my fondant cake but i didn't know what to charge for the decorations since there are a lot of them. I make my cakes at a commercial bakery that has been inspected.

How much would you estimate the ingredients would cost for this cake? About how long would it take to make? How much do you pay for rent at your commercial kitchen, and how much do you pay yourself per hour? How much annual overhead expense do you have (i.e. insurance, license fees, inspection fees, etc.) and about how many orders do you have per year?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%