Using Ganache And Imbc

Decorating By srkmilklady Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm by Marianna46

srkmilklady Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making a cake for this Saturday. I am making an orange cake and want to fill it with grand marnier IMBC, but would like to crumb coat with chocolate ganache. I am then going to cover all in fondant. Is this possible?? icon_confused.gif

Would I have to make some sort of damn for the IMBC filling the same way you do with buttercream? I don't use chocolate ganache very often, so maybe I'm just making more of this than I should. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks... icon_smile.gif

1 reply
Marianna46 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 2

Sounds delish! A dam is usually just a round of buttercream at the edge of your filling, so if you're already using buttercream to fill, you may not need it. When using American buttercream, it's possible to add more powdered sugar to it to get it to a better consistency for a dam. IMBC doesn't use powdered sugar, and I don't know what the consequences of adding powdered sugar to it would be, but I don't think I'd want to try it. If your IMBC is pretty thick, you shouldn't have a problem. I'd suggest you weight the cake down for a couple of hours after you fill it (with something broad like a floor tile, so that the weight is well distributed). That way, you can avoid problems with the fondant bulging later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%