How Much To Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By cakeman76 Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm by kristiemarie

cakeman76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeman76 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 7

Hello to everyone on cake central...

My name is Josh, and I just finished my daughters birthday cake. I have others interested in me doing some cakes like this for them as well.

I made all the figures out of fondant, Cake completly covered in fondant and layers are 9", 8" and 6".

How much would you charge for a cake like this? I am not a professional this is only my third cake ever.

Look forward to chatting with all of you.

Here is the link to the cake.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2061776

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 7

Very cute cake, Josh! There's a great little tool for calculating the number of servings you can get from each tier of your cake by a woman on CC named metria:
http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi
Once you know how many it will serve (or once you know how many servings you'll need so you can decide how much cake to make), multiply the number of servings by the price per serving (if you call or google a few high-end bakeries in your area, you can find out about what the going rate is) and you'll have an idea of what your cake should go for. HTH!

cakeman76 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Very cute cake, Josh! There's a great little tool for calculating the number of servings you can get from each tier of your cake by a woman on CC named metria:
http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cake_calculator.cgi
Once you know how many it will serve (or once you know how many servings you'll need so you can decide how much cake to make), multiply the number of servings by the price per serving (if you call or google a few high-end bakeries in your area, you can find out about what the going rate is) and you'll have an idea of what your cake should go for. HTH!

Thank you very much!

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 7

Well first of all just to let you know...there will be a million posts about if its even legal to sell cakes in your state or county. So check that out.

Then if you don't want to charge by servings...you can charge by tier and then charge per figure. For just starting out, and your work is good I would say you could get away with charging atleast $100 and upto $175 depending on if you have a market to sell birthday cakes for that much.

From my experience friends and family have a hard time coughing up the $50 for materials and ingredients and never figure in the amount of time it takes to make a cake that detailed.

If anything charge more now and then you don't have a whole group of people that think they will forever get a 2 tiered cake for $45.

A lot of people here have had great success selling birthday cakes but in my personal opinion the money is in wedding cakes. No one plans a birthday party and budgets $200 for cake. Most people think $50 or under.

Thats how I got into caking because I wanted an awesome cake for my son who is also 4, but didn't want to pay $160 for a firetruck cake.

cakeman76 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you both for all the info...

You are both very talented and have some great cakes. I hope one day i can be as good as the two of you.

Thanks again

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 7

If it were me.....I'd charge $215 for it, assuming it took me around 10 hours to decorate.

The price per serving would be about $3.20. Higher the skill to design, higher the cost per serving.

What's standard to charge in your area?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%