How Do You Transport Cakes With Hidden Drum Boards?

Decorating By Crazy-Gray Updated 10 Jun 2011 , 8:18am by Crazy-Gray

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 6

My 8, 10 & 12 cakes sit on their respective equally sized boards so the cake meets exactly with the edge of the drum, this means that when I cover the cakes the boards will be hidden making the cakes about a quarter inch wider in total meaning they wont fit into their boxes...

I wondered about using bigger boxes but the cake will slide about inside and dent the fondant, I also wondered about trimming a quarter inch off the cake so that when covered the fondant meets the edge of the drum but doesnt cover it- I foresee two problems though;

keeping the cake round after trimming
and
getting the thickness of fondant right,

but would this be the best way despite these difficulties?

Really hope you can help =)
Gray

5 replies
leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:31pm
post #2 of 6

You put the cake and it's board on another board. Use a smear of icing to temporarily secure one board to another.

leah_s Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:32pm
post #3 of 6

And you're not really using drums under each cake, right? You're using regular cardboards?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 6

Use the larger box, but put a piece of this product ( http://www.ilcnsw.asn.au/items/1288 ) under the cake drum to prevent it from moving inside the box. I buy a similar mat by the roll at the dollar store and use it anywhere that I don't want what I am woring on to slide around.

baberham Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:35pm
post #5 of 6

when I have to transport cakes like this I use the rubber mats that are often used in kitchen cabinets (I buy mine from Walmart by the roll, in the same isle as the tack paper). I cut a piece and place it under the hidden cake board and then place it in a larger cake pan and then transport it in a box.

for instance, a 8" round that is on a hidden cake board I would place the rubber mat under it, put it then into a 10 or 12" round, and then place it in the appropriate sized box for transporting.

I hope this helps.

Crazy-Gray Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 8:18am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much everyone, I actually am using drums under each cake as I was worried about the fondant cracking moving them with single thick bases especially since i'll not be the one assembling the cake on site- would single thick's be ok normally then- I've always been too affraid to test just in case they bend at the last moment!

Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%