Fresh Lemon Vs Extracts

Baking By robbynjaye Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm by robbynjaye

robbynjaye Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 5

Hello fellow cupcake bakers!

I recently started a small cupcake business from home. We currently do shows and festivals and take small orders. We bake on average 400-500 cupcakes per event. We do not sell our lemon cupcakes at big events b/c of all the zesting we would have to do and its time consuming. My concern for when we get bigger and eventually branh into a commercial setting, how would we zest all of those lemons on a daily basis. I'm afraid if we use lemon extract or lemon juice, that would compromise the taste. I also fill them with a lemon curd. I'm afraid to use anything else in that.

What do you all do? Do you sell fresh lemon cupcakes with fresh lemon frosting or do you use something else and is the taste still authentic? Any advice or direction is truly appreciated.

Thanks

4 replies
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 5

I add 2 tsp of high quality natural lemon extract to my favorite yellow cake recipe (Sylvia Weinstock's original yellow cake.) The only lemon extract I trust is Penzey's, but I'm sure there are other good ones out there. Then I brush the warm cupcakes with lemon simple syrup made from 1 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 cup water, and 2 cups sugar.

I think some people use lemon oil instead of extract, but I've never tried it myself.
hth

pastrygirls Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure where to buy them retail, but at the hotel i work at we can order frozen lemon "rappe" (zest). if we have to do a large batch of something we can just pull what we need from the container in the freezer. It's pretty strong and it saves you the time of zesting.

pastrygirls Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 5

check out albert uster imports. i'm pretty sure you can make an account and order stuff online. great company with tons of cool stuff

robbynjaye Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 5

That is AWESOME! Is the zest dried? So it has good natural flavor then? This will help out a great deal! Thank you so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%