Perfect Chocolate Cake Recipe Urgent !!

Baking By Lavi1127 Updated 24 Jun 2011 , 12:59pm by blue329

Lavi1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lavi1127 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:46am
post #1 of 11

Looking for a recipe to bake a chocolate cake without using store bought cake mixes..i want to save the recipe for ever..please help

10 replies
KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:57am
post #2 of 11

2 c sugar
2 c flour
3/4-1c cocoa (depending on your preference)
2 eggs
1.5 t baking powder
1.5 t baking soda
.5 t salt
2 T vanilla
1 c milk
1/2 c oil
1 cup HOT water

Put all dry ingredients in the bowl and turn the mixer on low. Add in eggs, then vanilla, then milk, the oil and mix on med-high for 3 minutes. Hand stir in hot water. Bake at 350 for approx 30 min, depending on oven. You'll be able to smell chocolate cake when it's almost done icon_smile.gif

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 6:37am
post #3 of 11

Kaliscakes, that's very close to the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake...you must have tinkered with a bit to get your own version. Like we all do! I make the Hershey's cake with sour cream instead of milk---but I'm totally stealing your idea to use 2 T. vanilla!

Lavi, if you want to look at the original recipe, you can find it on the can of Hershey's cocoa, or here: http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/184/HERSHEY%27S-%22PERFECTLY-CHOCOLATE%22-Chocolate-Cake.aspx
Kaliscakes is right--this is a really moist & delicious chocolate cake. I made it for a wedding cake this past weekend, and people were clamoring for seconds. icon_smile.gif

KalisCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KalisCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 11

Very cool to know! I had no idea where this recipe originated, it was one my grandmother taught me when I was little, so it'd cool to have some background on it! Thanks!

Lavi1127 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you KalisCakes, im sure going to give it a try and let you know..will this measuremnt be gpod enough for a 9*11" cake?

Lavi1127 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 11

thanks Sangriacupcake, i have used sour cream in a cake earlier and it was dellliicciiioousss...will try to put all ideas together..n get a good outcome icon_biggrin.gif

I always wanted to know before we try to bake a big cake is there any way to try a small one (in a small pyrex bowl for example) and how do we come up with a measurement for that??? Any ideas??

jenabbott00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenabbott00 Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 11

I can't wait to try this cake. Sounds so Yummy!

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 11

lavi11127: You can make only half of the recipe and try it in cupcakes. I adjusted the Hershey recipe to my own. That is a good one, and very moist too. I used sour cream as sangriacupcakes. HTH

Lavi1127 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 5:51am
post #9 of 11

Thank you all the cake was a big hit.. Couldn't asked for something more perfect... Awesome thank you for all the great inputs icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 13 Jun 2011 , 6:20am
post #10 of 11

The Hershey's recipe is delicious but I don't find it dense enough for 3D cakes, don't know what type of cake you are making but you may want to keep that in mind.
I use the Hershey's one for cupcakes and it is a HIT!

blue329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue329 Posted 24 Jun 2011 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 11

Ina Garten, from Food Network has a wonderful recipe for a chocolate cake. She calls it Tiered Chocolate Buttercream Cake & the link to get to it is: [url] http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tiered-chocolate-buttercream-cake-recipe/index.html [/url]
It is her recipe for a tiered cake but you can use the cake batter for any cake. I did not tier mine when I tried it. However, if you use any other pan sizes than what she recommends for the tiered cake, you will need to estimate baking time & watch it very carefully so you can get your bake time right for the pan size you are using. I did not try the buttercream icing recipe she lists with the cake. I only used the cake batter recipe & I will definitely say it is the best chocolate cake recipe that I have tried. It is dense, moist, & I did not even need to level the cakes after baking & that is with no bake even strips (I don't have any yet). I will say that the cakes rose pretty high in the oven & I thought I was going to have to cut half the cakes off later but surprisingly, when they cooled, it all went back to the perfect height- no leveling! I thought that was pretty cool. This is a large batch of batter so be prepared to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%