Flying With Pre Made Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By Dub0Saturn Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 2:46am by Narie

Dub0Saturn Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:13am
post #1 of 7

I'm making a cake with gumpaste calla lilies that has to fly to another state. My question is, can I bring the floral wire on the plane? I don't want to get to security and have to pull the wires out of all of my flowers. Thanks in advance.

6 replies
tiggy2 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:11am
post #2 of 7

I'd call the airline and ask.

JuliSchulze Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:18am
post #3 of 7

I recently took up a new hobby with French beading and took a roll of 26 gauge wire on board with me. They did check my carry on by hand but otherwise no problem. I would go ahead and call the airline just in case and be sure to allow enough time to get through security at the airport. Happy flying!

BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 2:29am
post #4 of 7

No problem flying with the gum paste callas.

I've flown with lots of pre-made flowers and other than having them packed well (I like cheap toilet paper "nests") and in a box that's easily opened for inspection that will fit in the overhead bin, I've never had any issues.

rae

Dub0Saturn Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 7

So I called the airline (Alaska) and the tsp and both had no problem with the wires. The one thing they kept on asking me if if there was any cream or icing in the cake. Apparently buttercream is a higher security risk than wires. Oh wells, it's a good thing I'm just making the cake layers at home and making the filling and buttercream when I arrive.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:20am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub0Saturn

Apparently buttercream is a higher security risk than wires.

Goes to show you that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing half of the time icon_cool.gif

I've traveled several times with fully decorated cakes--covered in both buttercream & fondant--and never once had a TSA worker so much as blinked.

Rae

Narie Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 2:46am
post #7 of 7

I suppose you could hide a bomb in a frosted cake. If someone can hide bomb in their shoe, why not a decorated wedding cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%