Making Huge Roses With 5-Petal Cutter

Decorating By kathyw Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm by Evoir

kathyw Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 8

I use the 5-petal cutters all the time and love them for making roses, but I can't seem to make really big ones that look normal. I end up with too many layers of petals and the rose ends up kind of shaped like a pyramid.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

7 replies
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have a picture of one to share?

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 8

You either need to use two sizes of cutters, a bigger one for the outer petals, or roll the paste for the outer petals a little thicker before you cut it, and then thin those petals more with the ball tool. The outer petals need to be larger than the inner petals for it to look right.

sebrina Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 8

I made a huge rose for a wedding cake by using the wilton leaf cutters. I trimmed the tip off & they made a perfect petal shape.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1973752/1973755

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyw

I use the 5-petal cutters all the time and love them for making roses, but I can't seem to make really big ones that look normal. I end up with too many layers of petals and the rose ends up kind of shaped like a pyramid.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Jennifer Dontz has THE BEST video on gumpaste roses I've seen yet. Her's are bigger than normal and BEAUTIFUL!!! Here's a link: http://jenniferdontz.com/viewproduct.php?itemid=dvd004

kathyw Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you all.

For some reason I can't seem to get my pictures off the camera. I'll try again later.

That's a good idea to try different size cutters. I will try that.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8

I use the Jem 100 and 110 mm cutters.

Evoir Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 8

Try making a large rose, as you normally would using your very large cutters. Then, using slightly thicker gumpaste, cut individual large petals, WIRE them, and ball/ shape them and leave to dry. When everything is dry, you add your individual petals to the outside of your large rose. Alternatively, you can wire every single petal and make an open, full-bloom rose.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%