When To Use Dowels?

Decorating By PandaMin77 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm by amygortoncakes

PandaMin77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PandaMin77 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 5

When do you need to start worrying about support for the cake?
I'm making a two tier cake and wondering if i need to do all of that?
only 30 min ride but it will be warm out.

Also what do they put under the cake when they go to stack it?

thanks

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 5

Use supports for every 4" of cake height.

You put each tier on its own board.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

i read that you have to put dowel right into both cakes (by hammering it in) but won't we end up eating part of the cake board too?

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

I shapren 1 dowel with a pencil sharpener that I bought just for my dowels and put it in the center of the cake and hammer it through the board...I have to say I don't exactly know what you mean about eating the cake board....you dont cut through it and no one is served a piece of board.

amygortoncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amygortoncakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 5

Definetely dowel this cake. You don't have to hammer it in, its cake...so it goes right in if you push with one finger.

So for instance make your bottom tier. This should be placed on something sturdy like a cutting board etc.

Ice or cover the cake with fondant. Then estimate where the other cake is going to sit on top and place dowels in. I usually measure one and then cut the rest to the same height. I place them sort of in a circle with 1 or 2 in the middle.

Then I smear a bit of frosting over the spot where I just put the dowels to act as a sort of glue.

Then your next tier which is covered and ready to go and is on an appropriate sized cake board is placed on top of the first tier. You will notice that this second tier doesn't even affect the first tier because all the weight is on the dowels.

I can't imagine a time when you would dowel a tiered cake. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%