Pricing For A Cake Like This?

Decorating By chutesandladders1980 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm by TexasSugar

chutesandladders1980 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 11

This is my first big cake and am considering doing this on the side. I live in a very small county in KY, so I have no idea what to charge. What would you price a cake like this? I made the clay topper also.

Image[/img][/code]

10 replies
icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 11

we don,t see a pic

chutesandladders1980 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

we don,t see a pic

Sorry I couldn't figure it out lol

cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 11

Your pricing should be based upon the cost of all your expenses (such as the ingredients, insurance, commercial kitchen space rent, utilities, etc.), an hourly wage for you to make the cake, plus a profit of 20-30%. If you'd still like to know what some of us on CC would charge for a cake you are planning to make, can you post a picture or a link to the picture?

ufo9978 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 11

you can figure out by how many it's going to serve plus your time. what do you usually charge per serving?

kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 11

I can see it.
I suggest pricing by the serving. I can't tell for sure what sizes those rounds are but it's hugeicon_smile.gif
No less than $3 per serving. Check out the Wilton serving charts for 'wedding cakes'.

May I make a decorating suggestion? Unless you purpossly wanted points on your dots, you need to squeeze dot out; stop pressure, count to 3 before lifting your bag away by making a comma motion icon_smile.gif

ufo9978 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 11

I agree with kakeladi ..please press those dots....unless you like them perky icon_smile.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

May I make a decorating suggestion? Unless you purpossly wanted points on your dots, you need to squeeze dot out; stop pressure, count to 3 before lifting your bag away by making a comma motion icon_smile.gif

Thanks for this great tip! I always went back and smooshed the points down with a toothpick or my tip and sometimes smooshed my dots. Thanks again!

chutesandladders1980 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you for the tip. It was really my first cake other than a few birthday cakes for my kids and this one was for my sister.

Quote:

I can see it.
I suggest pricing by the serving. I can't tell for sure what sizes those rounds are but it's hugeicon_smile.gif
No less than $3 per serving. Check out the Wilton serving charts for 'wedding cakes'.

deedee1120 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:32pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegirl1973

Quote:

Thanks for this great tip! I always went back and smooshed the points down with a toothpick or my tip and sometimes smooshed my dots. Thanks again!

I usually go back and smoosh my dots too! Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%