How Complicated Is It To Make Pillow Cake?

Decorating By tjdudley Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm by DSmo

tjdudley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjdudley Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:12pm
post #1 of 4

I have a stack of 3-4 pillow cakes to make the end of July for a wedding. I am planning on buying the forms for this. Any suggestions on how are they to make, are they difficult? I don't think they could be as hard as the topsy turvy I had made. I plan on delivering and stacking them there which is aprox 20 miles from my home? Suggestions on stacking? Every cake I have stacked it was done in my home, but I wish to get this one there in one piece. Any tutorials on making and decorating the pillow cakes would be greatly appreciated. I am going to make 1 up ahead of time so I am prepared. I do not wish to ruin there big day!

3 replies
cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

Hello tjdudley. I just happened to find this how to yesterday while perusing American Cake Decorating's website. Hopefully this can help you a little.
http://www.americancakedecorating.com/how-to.html

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 4

I did a pillow cake for my daughter's birthday, using the Wilton pans. The batter amount in the pan insert is wrong...use your judgement, not their measurements, when filling the pans.

Definitely practice first...I only did a stack of two pillows, and the first one felt really difficult to cover with fondant, but the second was easier.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

... using the Wilton pans. The batter amount in the pan insert is wrong...use your judgement, not their measurements, when filling the pans.

There are correct batter amounts on the Wilton website. They posted a notice about the insert being wrong. (I just eyeball it, too, though.)

One thing I don't like about the Wilton pans is they're almost too contoured. It makes it difficult to put a board under each pillow to stack them without the board showing. So unless you stuff some flowers or something in between, your board will probably show.

I've also had trouble with the fondant on the bottom side of the pillow sagging a little bit. Actually, I'm not sure if it's the fondant sagging or the whole pillow settling. Not sure how to correct this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%