Do I Let Gumpaste/fondant Plaque Dry?

Decorating By Noobz Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm by Noobz

Noobz Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:17am
post #1 of 4

Hi. I'm making a plaque to go on a buttercream wedding cake so i'm assuming I should let it dry first so it doesn't go soggy when I put it on the buttercream.

Do I let it dry on the pan so that it is curved or just let it dry straight? Is melted chocolate a good idea for sticking it on or is buttercream a better choice? Thanks

3 replies
BeesKnees578 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 11:38am
post #2 of 4

If you want it curved I would just cut it out and let it rest for a little so that it doesn't get distorted when you pick it up, then place it right on the refrigerated buttercream or fondant.

FOR FONDANT: I discovered that wetting a paper towel and squeezing the water out so it's just damp and wiping it gently over the area where you are adhering works SOOO SOOO much better than a brush with drips! And when it dries, it dries evenly, not shiny where too much water was applied. You can't even tell where the wet part was. Makes for much neater work!

If you want it straight, let it dry well on a flat surface...I have found that foam works well dusted w cornstarch bc the air can circulate and it dries faster from both sides. Attach with buttercream to buttercream, but a little melted choc would work for fondant.

TexasSugar Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

I've used fondant cut outs on butter cream cakes many of times, placing them on their while they are still fresh and soft with no problems. The only time I pre dry something is when I want it to hold it's shape. If I wanted the piece to remain flat/straight I would dry it as such. If I wanted it to curve around the cake, then I will put it on the cake while it is still soft. As long as you don't get the piece really wet, or close it up in an airtight container with the cake, it shouldn't melt.

You can glue it on with vanilla, water (I like vanilla better), piping gel, or corn syrup. You can also use butter cream.

Noobz Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for the replies, i won't be doing it until saturday so I shall update with what I do and how it worked out for any other future noobz.

Quote by @%username% on %date%