Wedding Cupcake Tower...transporting 200 Cupcakes????

Baking By lilmansmum Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm by tinygoose

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:17am
post #1 of 21

I am doing my first wedding cupcake tower. It will be 200 cupcakes, and I am trying to figure out how to get 200 cupcakes in my van and to the reception. What should I put them in? I have regular sheet cake boxes, but no cupcake boxes/inserts. I can't have them all sliding around in boxes. Should I purchase some boxes with inserts for cupcakes? And if so, where can I find those? I have looked online and haven't had a lot of luck finding exactly what I am looking for. Can someone help???

20 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:40am
post #2 of 21

I just did a cupcake wedding, and I used the disposable plastic containers. I like them better than boxes with inserts because they were sturdy enough to stack them on top of one another. I think you can get them at plasticcontainercity.com.

HomemadeUpgrade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HomemadeUpgrade Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 21

I use the plastic clamshells. I buy them at wesellcoffee.com for a really good price, like less then $0.40 each.

loveicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveicing Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 21

I purchase the 12 cavity hinged clear plastic cupcake containers from wesellcoffee.com. They are perfect for cupcakes. Recently I transported 8 dozen and they arrived as perfectly as they were when I left the house.

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 21

I just did a 200 cupcake wedding last week! I should do a blog post about it because there are so many things that went right! icon_smile.gif A lot of my questions on here went unanswered and I think it was just because many of us didn't know how to answer them. Hopefully, I can help out.

I find that the clear cupcake containers are ok but the cupcakes will touch each other and icing will be damaged. I used big bakery boxes and bought cupcake inserts. The boxes have to be high quality and sturdy and then you can stack them on each other and they won't crush the cupcakes underneath them. The cupcakes inserts are waaaaayy better than the clear containers because they have side cutouts at each cupcake hole. These cutouts allow you to lift the cupcake out of the box without hitting the cupcake beside it. I also had to fit each cupcake into a cupcake wrapper. Each one fit snugly inside the insert and I didn't have to put wrappers on at the reception room. In all, I was efficient and it looked very professional.

I got my containers from Golda's Kitchen in Ontario, Canada. They really have excellent customer service and I paid extra for fast shipping - they came overnight. What a lifesaver! I had bought 18 clear containers locally thinking that they would be fine but in the end, I changed my mind and ordered from Golda's and I'm so glad I did. It's the boxes that fit 24 cupcakes at once.

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 21

I'm not sure what plastic containers you are using but the ones that I use don't cause the problems that you mentioned. My cupcakes don't touch and the icing doesn't get messed up. The clamshells have little indentations for you to pick up the cupcakes without touching the frosting.

Twice a week I transport at least 100 cupcakes to the farmers market in these containers, not to mention special orders.

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 21

What I did was take 1/2 sheet of thin foamcore board and hot glued cheap dollar store disposable cups in rows. I cut the cups in half or less. What I was making is a little cup holder for my cupcakes. You can leave as much space in between the cup holders as you want so that the cupcakes don't touch. I cut the foamcore boards in half just so they would be easier to handle. The cupcakes traveled great snuggled in their own little holder. You can throw the whole thing away or save for the next order.
I did not think up this idea myself. I actually read it here on CC. I can't remember the exact title of the post or I would give credit to the poster. It sure was an inexpensive way to transport a large amount of cupcakes.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveicing

I purchase the 12 cavity hinged clear plastic cupcake containers from wesellcoffee.com. They are perfect for cupcakes. Recently I transported 8 dozen and they arrived as perfectly as they were when I left the house.

Ditto.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:31pm
post #9 of 21

I just delivered and order for 450 cupcakes. I didn't use inserts at all. I put down the nonslide liner in the bottom of each box, fit about 15 in each one. They had about 1" space between each one. Not ONE fell or got damaged. I stacked the boxes 3 high in the back of my Jeep and of course drove carefully. I tried the inserts and just didn't like them, this works every time for me.

JenJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJane Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 21

I also have transported cupcakes with the nonslide shelf liner in the bottom and they did not move.

lilmansmum Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 21

Oh thank you all SO MUCH for all these great tips! I will look at all the websites you mentioned and consider which method will be easiest for me. They all sound good though!

I do have one more question......what kind of liner do you all use to bake the cupcakes in? I am having trouble finding liners that keep their color even after baking. Is there a good place online that sells good quality liners? I just want something that looks nice when displayed. I know there are fancy holders out there to put them in, but I would rather keep the bottoms of the cupcakes simple looking because the tops will be the decorated fancy part, and I would like that to be what stands out. Any suggestions???? And thanks again so much!

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #13 of 21

I use those big long plastic storage containers from walmart. They are about $9 for each and I can fit about 60-75 cupcakes in each and they are easy to transport and carry

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:30am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmansmum

Oh thank you all SO MUCH for all these great tips! I will look at all the websites you mentioned and consider which method will be easiest for me. They all sound good though!

I do have one more question......what kind of liner do you all use to bake the cupcakes in? I am having trouble finding liners that keep their color even after baking. Is there a good place online that sells good quality liners? I just want something that looks nice when displayed. I know there are fancy holders out there to put them in, but I would rather keep the bottoms of the cupcakes simple looking because the tops will be the decorated fancy part, and I would like that to be what stands out. Any suggestions???? And thanks again so much!

I buy 500 Reynolds white liners at GFS for $3.99.

HomemadeUpgrade Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 1:06am
post #15 of 21

The Reynolds from GFS aren't greaseproof. I think that's what she's asking. I know when I use the Reynolds they get greasy and lose their color. Can't beat the price though and I do use them if the cuppies are going in wrappers since the liners don't matter at that point.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 5:22am
post #16 of 21

I like to use the double ones that are plain white paper on the inside and silver or gold on the outside.

divinecc Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:04pm
post #17 of 21

I won't use any liners unless they are REYNOLDS. The same 500 pk that everyone else mentioned. I think they hold the color well and don't peel away by themselves from the cupcake. I have tried several different brands and Reynolds is def #1 for me! Any white liner will show the color of the cupcake a little but these don't get greasy and yellow... Look at my cupcakes in this pic.....

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1994948

lilmansmum Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 6:13pm
post #18 of 21

Yes, I do like the look of the white liners with the white cake! That is what I am going for, I think....the simple look so I can decorate the tops and the liners won't be too distracting. So I guess I need to get some Reynolds liners. You'd think they'd be easy to find locally in grocery stores or department stores, but I have had a terrible time finding that brand. I guess I can always order them online, but I'd rather just buy them at the store if possible. Oh well, I will look a few more places before I order some. Thanks a bunch! I am glad to see a picture of what they look like. Oh, and how full did you fill your cups? They look just the right size, and I don't want to overfill.

divinecc Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 3:56pm
post #19 of 21

I have a tough time finding them too, you will probably have to just order them online. I fill mine about 2 heaping Tbs. It depends on the batter you use some rise higher than others, I use WASC. Usually I bake about 4 cupcakes first with different amounts and see which one works best, then fill the rest to the same height. Good luck!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 5:14pm
post #20 of 21

Another easy and inexpensive way is to take a cupcake pan, flip it over, lay one to two sheets of foil (I use the colored cake foil, but any foil will do), lay the foil on the backside of the cupcake pan and mold it around the cupcake forms. Flip it off and you have a foil molded cupcake holder!!

I then lay it on top of a sheet of plastic wrap in the cake box so it doesn't slip around. If it fits perfectly into the box, you can skip this step.

It works great!

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 5:50pm
post #21 of 21

Another easy and inexpensive way is to take a cupcake pan, flip it over, lay one to two sheets of foil (I use the colored cake foil, but any foil will do), lay the foil on the backside of the cupcake pan and mold it around the cupcake forms. Flip it off and you have a foil molded cupcake holder!!

I then lay it on top of a sheet of plastic wrap in the cake box so it doesn't slip around. If it fits perfectly into the box, you can skip this step.

It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%