Topsy Turvy Using Dummies?

Decorating By hvanaalst Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 5:40am by JanH

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:36am
post #1 of 6

I have a friend who wants a 3 tiered cake for his daughter's graduation. He really likes the topsy turvy style but doesn't need all that cake. I would like to do the top two tiers using styrofoam dummies but have no idea how to succesfully carve them.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #2 of 6

You don't need to carve them, you can get Topsy Turvey dummies. Here's a link to where I found them online: http://www.thefoamstudio.com/products/4%22-Thick-4-tier-Topsy-Turvey-Cake-Dummy-Set.html

HTH! icon_smile.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 6

Since Styrofoam is such a PITA to cut, I'd suggest ordering them if you have time. If you don't, you can use an electric knife or even a long serrated knife but it'll be messy!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:03am
post #4 of 6

On one side start cutting about 1 inch from the top. Angle the knife and cut so that the other side is only at the 1/4 inch mark.
Glue the piece that you just trimmed off back on top of the dummy cut sides together. Just place the high sides together and the low sides together.
Fill the seam with some frosting and smooth.
You now have a topsy turvy layer.

tryingcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tryingcake Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:16am
post #5 of 6

WHY DO THEY BLOCK VENDOR WEBSITES????????? IS CC THAT PARANOID?????

Buy them from (moderator edited)

VERY REASONABLE PRICED. So cheap - not worth cutting on your own. The first one I listed is a hint cheaper, a dollar or so.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 5:40am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingcake

WHY DO THEY BLOCK VENDOR WEBSITES????????? IS CC THAT PARANOID?????

CC doesn't block vendor websites. However, CC will ban vendor websites which don't honor CC's advertising guidelines/policies.

So please don't try to circumvent the auto delete program which serves this function.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%