Help With Home Made Gum Paste.

Decorating By Em77 Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 12:45am by Em77

Em77 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:15am
post #1 of 5

Hi guys,

I made my second batch of gumpaste using tylose (first batch with gum tragacanth) and it turned out REALLY rubbery and is a totally different texture to the first. I can barely roll it no matter how much I knead it or warm it. Does any one know where I might have gone wrong? While I was making it I was worried I beat the eggs too much, but it almost seems like It has too much tylose, even though I put in the amount specified.
Any ideas?

Thanks.

4 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:25am
post #2 of 5

Large egg whites can vary in volume. You may need to try to knead in some more egg white to loosen it up.

As for the different texture, yes, gum paste made w/ tylose will feel very different from that made w/ gum trag.

Kim Morrison actually likes to mix the 2 types of paste, 50/50, so that she gets the best qualities of both.

HTH
Rae

Em77 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:29am
post #3 of 5

Oh ok, thanks for that. So if it has sit for 24hrs, can I still add egg whites? Or would it also work to add a bit of MMF? It feels like it just needs something to break it down a bit.

BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:42am
post #4 of 5

Try either way, or both, and see which you prefer.

Rae

Em77 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:45am
post #5 of 5

Hi Rae, I added some MMF to it and it is perfect. So a great big huge THANK YOU!! thumbs_up.gif Emma

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%