Edible Images Question

Decorating By josefina20 Updated 11 Jun 2011 , 8:25am by josefina20

josefina20 Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 12

Can i used Edible images with fondant? i have used them with butercream and whipped cream, but never in fondant. How can i make it stick to the fondant? thanks

11 replies
MissLisa Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 12

Yes you can........... once you remove the acetate backing from the image, lay the image face down on a piece of paper towel. Take a spray bottle and lightly (but quickly and evenly) spray with water. Gently pick up the image IMMEDIATELY and place it onto your fondant, lay a clean/dry piece of paper towel over the image and gently press/smooth with a fondant smoother.

josefina20 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 6:43am
post #3 of 12

oh my god, thanks so much lisa.

icingimages Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 12:32pm
post #4 of 12

You may be better off spraying the fondant rather than the image. There are several different brands of icing sheets out there. Some are too thin and if you spray it, it will not work well. YOu can easily do that with the Icing IMages PRemium brand, and perhaps the Lucks, but I would not recommend that with any other icing sheet brand. So if you are using a different brand you can either spray the fondant or lay a damp paper towel over the the fondant before applying the image. Another hint, when applying the image, take the pealed backing, lay it over the image once it is applied to the cake and smooth the image in firmly. It is important that during humid weather you really smooth or press the image in to the cake so that bubbles do not appear. Make sure that when working with the image that your hands are not wet so they do not get smeared.

josefina20 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 12

thanks so so much icingimages, this info really help me a lot

Kitagrl Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 12

I brush either the fondant or the image with a thin layer of piping gel...that works well, too...

berrypoptart Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 12

I would use piping gel. I use edible images often and I can speak from experience...water and ink do not mix! Gently brush the fondant with the piping gel then lay the image as you would on buttercream.

Crissielyn Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 12

I use KopyKake icing sheets and they adhere to the cake just fine with just water. I usually use a damp paper towel and lightly sponge the cake with the damp paper towel. Then I lay down the edible image and it sticks just fine. Never had any problem with the ink bleading even with dark images.

I used nothing more than a damp paper towel lightly rubbed on the cake for this cake and nothing bled and the images stuck on perfectly:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1897976

1sweetpea Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 4:52pm
post #9 of 12

My favorite method--if you happen to have any around the house--is to lightly brush or airbrush a clear alcohol, such as vodka, on the fondant before image application. It will dry much more quickly than water and is less prone to smearing...

icingimages Posted 10 Jun 2011 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 12

There are many methods out there, crisco, piping gel, vodka, water and more. Basically, in theory the image needs moisture to stick. The problem with anything wet, if it does get on the front of the image, it will cause it to smear no matter what brand icing sheet you are using. For me, I can be careless, so I try my best not to touch the front of the icing sheet. When I am using more complicated cakes that require a lot of manipulation, I use crisco. THis allows me to slide the image around a bit before it actually adheres. But personally, adding more crisco to a cake is rather gross. Piping gel is a great alternative since it truely acts as a glue. But when I am in a hurry, I use water!

josefina20 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:17am
post #11 of 12

woaaaaaaaaa Crissielyn your cake look amazing.

josefina20 Posted 11 Jun 2011 , 8:25am
post #12 of 12

thanks icingimages, as i see i think so too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%