Cover A Cake In Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By jewordsoflife Updated 7 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm by mrsmudrash

jewordsoflife Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 4

I'm really interested in trying my hand at modeling chocolate. I was wondering if you could cover a cake with it like you would with fondant? Has anyone done this? If so, would you use the same method of crumb coating your cake first? I'd love to see pictures of cakes that are covered in it if possible.
TIA! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
mrsmudrash Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

Hi! icon_smile.gif

It's pretty hard to cover a cake in modeling chocolate like you would fondant...it doesn't really drape well. I've wrapped a cake in modeling chocolate and rubbed the seam a bit in the back to blend it and then rubbed the seams at the top where you piece the top and sides together.

What does work really well is to add modeling chocolate to your fondant. I've found adding a good 1/3 ratio of modeling chocolate to your fondant still allows flexibility and allows you to drape and cover a cake as usual...but it firms up nicely because of the chocolate in it...and tastes amazing!

I hope that helps!

Here's a cake I wrapped in chocolate/fondant mix...super sharp top corners:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1589558
I cut a circle for the top first, then wrapped the sides in chocolate. Remember you'll have a seam in the back with the wrapping method.

And, this flower pot was all modeling chocolate (no fondant mix):
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1395063

Good luck!
Jessica

jewordsoflife Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the help! Think I'll give it a whirl. And as always, your work is beautiful and flawless!! thumbs_up.gif

If you're ever in need of some free labor.... lol

mrsmudrash Posted 7 Jun 2011 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewordsoflife

Thanks for the help! Think I'll give it a whirl. And as always, your work is beautiful and flawless!! thumbs_up.gif

If you're ever in need of some free labor.... lol

Free labor! icon_smile.gif LOL! - that's all I do! I work for free too! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%